VOGONS

First post, by Kilba15

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Please find packard bell sound card in .sf2 files in Windows 10 pro. Please help Someone ?

Reply 2 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Packard Bell didn't make their own sound cards. Most mid-1990s cards were Aztech 3rd gen or 4th gen cards, which didn't have wavetable hardware, but had a softsynth in Windows software, but they also used IBM mWave-based cards which could use the DSP for MIDI. Later on they shipped their high-end systems with Aztech Aureal and Trident 4DWave based PCI cards. And then there's all the integrated and onboard stuff, everything from Yamaha PCI stuff on Intel OEM motherboards to Creative SB PCI stuff on MSI boards, and then AC'97 in all its software glory.

So yes, very mixed bag, you'll need to be quite a bit more specific about what you have and what you are trying to do.

Reply 3 of 6, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2023-08-12, 13:31:

Packard Bell didn't make their own sound cards. Most mid-1990s cards were Aztech 3rd gen or 4th gen cards, which didn't have wavetable hardware...

Nearly all Aztech soundcards have wavetable headers ... except of the ones that already have wavetable and the super reduced wedge shaped ones from gen4 an the first ones of gen 1...

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 4 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DerBaum wrote on 2023-08-12, 13:35:
dionb wrote on 2023-08-12, 13:31:

Packard Bell didn't make their own sound cards. Most mid-1990s cards were Aztech 3rd gen or 4th gen cards, which didn't have wavetable hardware...

Nearly all Aztech soundcards have wavetable headers ... except of the ones that already have wavetable and the super reduced wedge shaped ones from gen4 an the first ones of gen 1...

Agreed, but OP is looking for a sound font, so assumedly he's looking for something that sounds like a specific synth. If that synth is on a separate wavetable card, it's that card, and not the Aztech sound card it's connected to, that they're looking for.

Reply 5 of 6, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dionb wrote on 2023-08-12, 13:54:

Agreed...

The thing i am worried about is "Windows 10" ... I didnt know the old cards are still supported.

On my modern PC i just use VLC Media player with a plugin if i just want to listen to old formats. The emulation of the sound formats ( Tracker, FM , SID, Soundfonts ...) is quite good.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 6 of 6, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DerBaum wrote on 2023-08-12, 14:24:

[...]

The thing i am worried about is "Windows 10" ... I didnt know the old cards are still supported.

On my modern PC i just use VLC Media player with a plugin if i just want to listen to old formats. The emulation of the sound formats ( Tracker, FM , SID, Soundfonts ...) is quite good.

What he's asking doesn't make exact sense. I don't think he's trying to run one of these old physical cards, I think he's looking for an sf2 sound font that makes *something* sound like *something else* that was originally from some Packard Bell machine.

But it's all pretty hypothetical until we get more info from OP on what they're actually looking for.