VOGONS

First post, by RetroPCP4W98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, this is my first thread on the forum, I'm having trouble getting analog audio from my IDE dvd drive to output to my sound card which is a Sound Blaster Live! CT4780, I have an analogue cable and a digital one, but when I insert a music CD into my PC, it doesn't transmit the audio. If anyone knows how to configure the audio on this sound card I would be very grateful.
My Retro Pc specs:
Motherboard - Gigabyte i865gm-775
Pentium 4 3,20ghz
2 HDD 80gb
LG DVD RW IDE Drive GSA - 55n
Nvidia Geforce fx5200 128mb
1,25gb Ddr400 ram
Soundblaster Live! CT4780
Network Card 3com 905cx
Windows 98 Second Edition

Last edited by RetroPCP4W98 on 2023-08-12, 20:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

S/PDIF is digital and has 2 pins, analogue audio from a CD-ROM has 4 pins or 3 (sometimes ground is shared). Which are you trying to use ?

Which specific connector on the CT4870 is used ?

Which brand and model CD-ROM drive (EDIT: just saw you mentioned that in your post) do you have and which connector on it are you using ?

EDIT : Based on the manual, I do not believe your drive has any analogue OR digital audio output connectors on the back, unless the labelling on the back your actual drive atually mentions something about the connectors beside the jumper block being anything other than "reserved".

Filename
GSAHN55_GSAHL55.pdf
File size
448.19 KiB
Downloads
29 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
connectors.png
Filename
connectors.png
File size
150.41 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 2 of 5, by RetroPCP4W98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2023-08-12, 20:14:
S/PDIF is digital and has 2 pins, analogue audio from a CD-ROM has 4 pins or 3 (sometimes ground is shared). Which are you tryin […]
Show full quote

S/PDIF is digital and has 2 pins, analogue audio from a CD-ROM has 4 pins or 3 (sometimes ground is shared). Which are you trying to use ?

Which brand and model CD-ROM drive (EDIT: just saw you mentioned that in your post) do you have and which connector on it are you using ?

EDIT : Based on the manual, I do not believe your drive has any analogue OR digital audio output connectors on the back, unless the labelling on the back your actual drive atually mentions something about the connectors beside the jumper block being anything other than "reserved".

GSAHN55_GSAHL55.pdf

connectors.png

I'm using this analog cable that I found in attic of my grandmother which I think was from my uncles old 486, and the CD-ROM drive is an LG GSA - 55n not gsah 55n that I posted on thread.

Attachments

Reply 3 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroPCP4W98 wrote on 2023-08-12, 20:42:
S/PDIF is digital and has 2 pins, analogue audio from a CD-ROM has 4 pins or 3 (sometimes ground is shared). Which are you tryin […]
Show full quote

GSAHN55_GSAHL55.pdf

connectors.png

I'm using this analog cable that I found in attic of my grandmother which I think was from my uncles old 486, and the CD-ROM drive is an LG GSA - 55n not gsah 55n that I posted on thread.

The manual I shared covers GSA-H55N and GSA-H55L . If the manual is to be trusted,both of these drives do not have any dedicated audio output connectors.

Does the back of your drive indicate anything (writing stamped/embossed writing into metal/plastic or a label) to suggest there is an audio output ?

Past a certain point in time, computer optical drives started being made without dedicated digital or analog audio outputs. The expectation was thar CD audio would get streamed through the IDE (and later SATA or even USB) bus.

Reply 4 of 5, by RetroPCP4W98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2023-08-13, 00:03:
The manual I shared covers GSA-H55N and GSA-H55L . If the manual is to be trusted,both of these drives do not have any dedicated […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

GSAHN55_GSAHL55.pdf

connectors.png

The manual I shared covers GSA-H55N and GSA-H55L . If the manual is to be trusted,both of these drives do not have any dedicated audio output connectors.

Does the back of your drive indicate anything (writing stamped/embossed writing into metal/plastic or a label) to suggest there is an audio output ?

Past a certain point in time, computer optical drives started being made without dedicated digital or analog audio outputs. The expectation was thar CD audio would get streamed through the IDE (and later SATA or even USB) bus.

it is written reserved on both connectors.

Reply 5 of 5, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RetroPCP4W98 wrote on 2023-08-13, 01:36:
darry wrote on 2023-08-13, 00:03:
The manual I shared covers GSA-H55N and GSA-H55L . If the manual is to be trusted,both of these drives do not have any dedicated […]
Show full quote

it is written reserved on both connectors.

In that case, your drive does not have dedicated audio output. If you want that feature, you will need to get a different drive .