VOGONS

First post, by mcbeav

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’ve tried many different packages, and end with roughly the same result. I can’t get a SB0100 SoundBlaster Live 5.1 working in DOS or in DOS inside of Windows 98, but everything else in Windows works great.

If I install all of the packages and the driver from the install CD found here: http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=805&menustate=0 MINUS the DOS driver, everything works great, but I can’t get any games inside of DOS or DOS running under Windows 98 to recognize the card. If I install the DOS driver, during the boot sequence the SoundBlaster card is successfully initialized as seen in the screenshot attached, but once Windows finishes booting, the OS hangs with the error also shown in the screenshot attached, and eventually BSODs and I am forced to boot into safe mode and remove the DOS driver, or remove the lines that the installer added to AUTOEXEC.BAT

I started with an Audigy 2ZS, and tried the drivers found on Phil’s Computer Lab ( https://web.archive.org/web/20230105104839/ht … aster-live.html ) and everything worked great until I attempt to install the DOS drivers. When attempting to install the DOS drivers, the installer throws an error towards the end of the installation & Windows 98 BSODs. Upon restarting the computer, again DOS shows the card has been properly initialized, but upon finishing the boot sequence and getting into Windows 98 the OS hangs and throws the error shown in the attachment.

I switched from the Audigy 2ZS to a SoundBlaster Live 5.1 SB0100 because I could not get DOS drivers working with the Audigy 2ZS & because I wanted a working game port which I did not have the adapter for the 2ZS. The SoundBlaster Live 5.1 SB0100 acts almost identical to the 2ZS except the DOS driver package will successfully install without throwing any errors or crashing. I can install all of the packages and drivers I found at http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=805&menustate=0
When I reboot Windows 98, the boot sequence shows the SoundBlaster card is successfully initialized in DOS as shown in the attached screenshot, but once Windows finishes booting it hangs with the error shown in the attached screenshot. Again, I am forced to boot into safe mode and either uninstall the DOS driver or remove the added lines to AUTOEXEC.BAT.

I'm really at a loss here. I have tried more than what is listed in this post, but I couldn't list everything I have tried. So far, everything has ended in the same or similar results. I am not knowledgable on this topic, and I really don't know what I am doing with DOS and attempting to get a PCI sound card to work with DOS and DOS inside of Windows. I would greatly appreciate any help with this issue.

Screenshot Displays Card Is Properly Initialized In DOS:

Initialized.jpg
Filename
Initialized.jpg
File size
576.86 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The Error Displayed When Windows Finishes Booting & Hangs:

Windows.jpg
Filename
Windows.jpg
File size
1.26 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

AUTOEXEC.BAT Contents:
@ECHO OFF
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
SET CTSYN=C:\WINDOWS
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P330 I6
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\DOSDRV\SBEINIT.COM
Windows\Options\SysTools\DOSMode

System Specifications:

Gateway E-3400 Desktop

Motherboard: GVC MX842 (https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/gvc-mx842)
Chipset: Intel 815
CPU: Pentium III 1Ghz 100Mhz FSB
GPU: Elsa Victory II A16 Banshee Voodoo 16MB AGP
RAM: 512MB PC133 133MHz SDRAM

PCI Cards:

• Asus PCI-S940 SCSI Card
  • Generic 56K Modem
  • Creative SB Live 5.1 SB0100

Drives:

• 32GB PATA SSD
  • 32GB CF Card As Secondary Drive
  • Nakamichi 5 Disc CD-ROM MJ-5.16si
  • Panasonic LS120 Superdisk Drive
  • Iomega Z250ATAPI 250MB Zip Disk Drive
  • Gotek Floppy Emulator

Extras:

• Serdashop HDD Clicker

Peripherals:

• Altec Lansing ADA885 THX Surround Sound Speakers
  • Viewsonic Graphics Series G773
  • USB Hub Built Into The Viewsonic Monitor
  • Gateway Keyboard
  • Microsoft LED Intellimouse
  • Gravis Sidewinder Controller
  • Gravis Gamepad

Reply 1 of 3, by Dothan Burger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am by no means an expert. Did you install the .VXD or the WDM? It has to be the .VXD for SB16 emulation. I've had to reinstall 98 after installing the wrong creative driver because I'm not smart enough to unravel the mystery of what went wrong. Even booting into safe mode and using driver cleaner Pro wouldn't remove the remnants of the previous failed install.

Using the Joestar audigy driver on my Sound blaster live doesn't require any entries in the autoexec file for SB emulation to work in windows.

Reply 2 of 3, by mcbeav

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dothan Burger wrote on 2023-08-15, 01:22:

I am by no means an expert. Did you install the .VXD or the WDM? It has to be the .VXD for SB16 emulation. I've had to reinstall 98 after installing the wrong creative driver because I'm not smart enough to unravel the mystery of what went wrong. Even booting into safe mode and using driver cleaner Pro wouldn't remove the remnants of the previous failed install.

Using the Joestar audigy driver on my Sound blaster live doesn't require any entries in the autoexec file for SB emulation to work in windows.

Thanks for the response! I really appreciate the help, this has been an absolute headache. I'm in the same boat, I never had to mess with these settings do I'm not knowledgeable on the settings, and initializing with DOS, etc. It's using the WDM drivers and thats only because I used the SoundBlaster Live 5.1 installation CD, and I can't find the VXD drivers anywhere on the CD. However, as of this morning it looks like I managed to get everything 100% working by messing with the initialization in the autoexec.bat file. I would prefer to use VXD drivers for performance reasons, but I don't want to mess with anything now that everything is working properly. Thanks for the reply! Seriously, there is very little good information on this process out there.

Reply 3 of 3, by GL1zdA

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would start with streamlining your configuration, especially SCSI and modem. Make the Audigy/Live! work alone and then add other hardware. IRQ 9 looks suspicious. This is the IRQ ACPI takes, you should check if you have ACPI disabled or installed Windows 9x with ACPI disabled. Check in System Properites/Device Manager/Computer properties whether you have any resource conflicts.

getquake.gif | InfoWorld/PC Magazine Indices