VOGONS

First post, by Atr3ju

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey

I found a old laptop Acer TravelMate 8100 with Sound Blaster Pro card built in motherboard.

rhoDkFP.jpg

I have question, is there a chance that this sound blaster pro is compatible with DOS game of course after install drivers in real DOS system?

Reply 1 of 3, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Note that it's just "compatible", not actual Creative Sound Blaster hardware. Traditionally, because it's AC97, this is only good within Windows. But you may be in luck...

SBEMU: Sound Blaster emulation on AC97

Reply 2 of 3, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure.

Found this:
"I have travelmate 8100 laptop,audio is not working, i wanted to download the sound driver but i couldnt get the right driver"

"If you are using Windows Vista/Seven try install a windows additional update named "Analog Devices - Media - SoundMAX Integrated Degital Audio" "

Source: https://www.fixya.com/support/t26272222-trave … aptop_audio_not

So maybe it's just a driver thing, not sure.
Some Windows 98SE drivers (VXDs) had Sound Blaster emulation.
A bit like VDMSound, maybe.

It's best to use Sisoft Sandra or NSSI or similar and check for the soundchip, then search for a datasheet.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 3 of 3, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Furious googling for this thing suggests that it is either an:

SiS 7012 (which uses THESE drivers)
ICH4 24c5 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) AC'97 Audio Controller (which I cannot find dos drivers for)
3059 VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (Which uses THIS dos driver)
2445 82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller (which I cannot find dos drivers for)

and maybe a few more. Too busy tonight to dig through the .INF file and compare with the PCIID repository.

See also, this thread.
VIA AC'97 Sound Blaster drivers for MS-DOS?

The problem I am seeing, is that the manufacturer's "Audio Drivers" package, has so many Vendor IDs and Device IDs that it's a hodgepodge. I cannot uniquely identify what the audio controller will be inside that thing!!
This is not too uncommon though, sadly. Different submodels with different bits and bobs, for whatever was cheaper that quarter. I've seen 'the same model number' with both Intel and AMD CPUs (and thus radically different north and south bridges), and other nonsense. The page says it is intel, but it might have a bios-supplied emulation via "Azalia codec" in the bios. I really cannot tell you.