VOGONS

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are there any hardware resources or port conflicts from mixing a GUS or GUS clone with an Adlib or Sound Blaster? I would only want to use the GUS for its unique synthesizer and nothing more, for maximum compatibility.

Reply 1 of 2, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can definitely put a GUS in with another sound card. You just need to assign different port address, IRQ and DMA settings for each card.

I have four different builds (386 through Pentium 200) that feature GUS cards with between 2 to 4 additional sound cards in each system. It's just a matter of assigning hardware resources to avoid conflicts.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 2, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you talking about mixing the outputs? I have both output into a Behringer RX1602 (along with a couple of other vintage PCs and my MIDI sound modules). Much better than connecting output of one to line-in of the other.

Or are you talking about having both cards present in the same system? I'm not as well-endowed as Shponglefan when it comes to GUS cards, with just two - but both are running next to SB-compatible cards, in my most-system (a P3-500 late DOS box) it's a GUS Classic next to an AWE64 Gold and an Aztech 4th gen SBPro2 clone with OPL3 and hardware MPU-401.

My resources:
Aztech card:
A220 I5 D1 P330 T4
AWE64:
A240 I7 D3 H5 P300 E620 T6
GUS:
A260 I3 (both) D6 (both)

Works fine; for AdLib both Aztech and AWE output, depending on which one I listen to I get OPL or CQM.