VOGONS

First post, by janskjaer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Surprisingly, no similar topics came up after a search on VOGONS.

Upon installing the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz drivers, v4081, provided by philscomputerlab, I ran into this message in the attached screenshot.

I'm interested in trying out the AC-3 output and seeing if this works with the versajack to an SPDIF connection on a multi-speaker amplifier (the Cambridge Soundworks DTT 3500). There is an interesting driver developer article on AC-3 output being available from specifically 98SE onwards.

After quite a lengthy search through the usual sources (archive.org web and software images, Microsoft Answers and Download Center, Google Groups topics from circa 2001-2004) and all the associated dead links to find 269601USA8.EXE, I'm at a loss.
I've trawled numerous of my go-to FTP sites, including the recommended lists here and here, and even the vogonsdrivers, which were supposed to have it. Frustratingly, the Realtek Avance AC'97 drivers here should have it in the 'patch' directory found in the archive, according to this recommendation. Sadly, the directory is empty and none of the later versions of the realtek drivers found on vogonsdrivers have it either.

The Santa Cruz driver readme mentions the patch being on their FTP site, renamed as qfe_4164.exe, but I can't find that on the archived site which is full of dead links, and although Voyetra's FTP site is still up, a password is required.

Has anyone got the required file? Has anyone had success with AC-3 on 98SE?

Attachments

• qfe-269601usa8.png
    Filename
    qfe-269601usa8.png
    File size
    2.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

DELL Dimension XPS M200s
:Intel P1 MMX 200MHz
:64MB EDO
:DOS 6.22/Win95b
:Matrox Millenium II + m3D (PowerVR PCX2)
Chaintech 7VJL Apogee
:AMD AthlonXP 2700+
:512MB DDR
:Win98SE/2000 SP4
:3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP

Reply 2 of 6, by janskjaer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, show-off! 😀
But, thanks. Can you post the URL location of where you found it, just for reference, should others want to download it from there too. There could be some other useful files there.

DELL Dimension XPS M200s
Chaintech 7VJL Apogee

Reply 3 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
janskjaer wrote on 2023-08-28, 13:00:

OK, show-off! 😀
But, thanks. Can you post the URL location of where you found it, just for reference, should others want to download it from there too. There could be some other useful files there.

I found this through google : https://msfn.org/board/topic/175217-building- … omputer/page/6/ by searching for "269601USA8.EXE" , which gave me a (dead) link to "http://downloadmirror.intel.com/5551/eng/269601USA8.exe" , which I plugged into archive.org which, in turn, gave me https://web.archive.org/web/20190904055418/ht … /269601USA8.exe .

I presume that mockingbird used a similar approach or already had it archived .

EDIT : I am not trying to "show off", I just wanted to share a methodology that has often worked for me in the past in the hope that it may be useful to you or others .

Reply 4 of 6, by janskjaer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's interesting. I found a similar intel link to that file, but through a different search:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/downl … Id=950&lang=eng

Notice the download ID as 5551, the same as in your link.
I put my find into archive.org, and it gave me no results (which I expected as there are too many query parameters). I also found the MSFN link you provided, but when I noticed the '5551', I assumed (wrongly) that it would produce the same non-result.
I guess my google-fu is a bit off.

The show-off remark was just light-hearted humour because you found it so easily despite my long efforts, hence the smiley - I didn't mean to offend. It was useful, and thanks.

DELL Dimension XPS M200s
Chaintech 7VJL Apogee

Reply 5 of 6, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
janskjaer wrote on 2023-08-30, 19:05:

The show-off remark was just light-hearted humour because you found it so easily despite my long efforts, hence the smiley - I didn't mean to offend. It was useful, and thanks.

Don't be so timid, be more steadfast with your taunts. I quite liked it.

I found it in the file wdm3516b_Cadenza.exe, which a preliminary search indicated as such. The trick was to use a different search engine other than Google. Restricting your searches to Google in light of government regulation is like browsing the internet with horse blinders.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png

Reply 6 of 6, by janskjaer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
mockingbird wrote on 2023-08-30, 20:04:

Don't be so timid, be more steadfast with your taunts. I quite liked it.

Agreed - but you have to be a bit more careful nowadays. There are some types that are ... very sensitive 😉

I found it in the file wdm3516b_Cadenza.exe, which a preliminary search indicated as such. The trick was to use a different search engine other than Google. Restricting your searches to Google in light of government regulation is like browsing the internet with horse blinders.

Agree again, and have only collected Google's result (among others) through other metasearch engine tools. I use the term 'google-fu' as it is presumably more widely understood. 'Ixquick/Startpage-fu' just doesn't have the same ring to it 😀

I'll try out the QFE patch tonight and see how it goes. I'll post an update here on the results.

DELL Dimension XPS M200s
Chaintech 7VJL Apogee