20230901_153252.jpg
Filename
20230901_153252.jpg
File size
339.84 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I bought it as it was cheap and has a waveblaster connector. I know it has a bad reputation for noise, but my tiny monitor speakers are awful enough to not make the hiss noticeable 😉

I installed the sound card on a P1-133 with Win98SE. First with the drivers from the bundled floppy disks. Everything seemed to work, except for the waveblaster. I switched the MIDI output in windows to the MPU401 and played a MIDI file, but heard absolute silence.

I tried installing (probably newer?) WDM drivers, which screwed up my windows. After restoring a clean backup (how joyful it is to have a CF card as the HD and have image backups at hand), I managed to install the WDM drivers. Again, no WaveBlaster sound.

I then tested Doom both in DOS mode and inside Win98 with the General MIDI or Wave Blaster, again, absolute silence.

The waveblaster board does work when used with a Terratec Solo 1.

I checked the mixer settings, nothing was muted.

I tried searching Google for ALS120 and waveblaster, but nothing useful showed up. Feels to me that a mixer setting is missing and currently muted.

Is there anyone here who managed to get a waveblaster working with the ALS120?

Last edited by phjanderson on 2023-09-04, 19:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 14, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This card needs it pointing up, away from the ISA connector side.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 14, by Imperious

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have this card with a Dreamblaster S2 in my Win95 rig at the moment. I had no problems getting it to work, but as has been mentioned it has to point upwards.
Many older waveblaster boards are a lot bigger, and wouldn't fit in the other way round.

I did plug one in the wrong way round quite a few years ago (different sound card) and the computer would not turn on as there was a short circuit.
Nothing was permanently damaged.

Atari 2600, TI994a, Vic20, c64, ZX Spectrum 128, Amstrad CPC464, Atari 65XE, Commodore Plus/4, Amiga 500
PC's from XT 8088, 486, Pentium MMX, K6, Athlon, P3, P4, 775, to current Ryzen 5600x.

Reply 4 of 14, by phjanderson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DerBaum wrote on 2023-09-03, 21:12:

How did you put the waveblaster to the board? Pointing up or pointing down?
Just to make sure...

Pointing up indeed. I checked the als120 pcb first as the waveblaster pinout has a very recognizable amount of ground pins, which I matched up with the ground pins on the waveblaster.

Reply 5 of 14, by phjanderson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Imperious wrote on 2023-09-04, 00:28:
I have this card with a Dreamblaster S2 in my Win95 rig at the moment. I had no problems getting it to work, but as has been men […]
Show full quote

I have this card with a Dreamblaster S2 in my Win95 rig at the moment. I had no problems getting it to work, but as has been mentioned it has to point upwards.
Many older waveblaster boards are a lot bigger, and wouldn't fit in the other way round.

I did plug one in the wrong way round quite a few years ago (different sound card) and the computer would not turn on as there was a short circuit.
Nothing was permanently damaged.

Do you happen to know which driver version you installed?

And what you installed / configured for DOS mode?

Installing it backwards shorts a lot of voltage pins indeed!

Reply 7 of 14, by phjanderson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rawit wrote on 2023-09-04, 08:07:

What kind of waveblaster board are you connecting?

No-brand card, found these pages about it on Google:
https://modelrail.otenko.com/retro/wavetables-pro32aw
This one mentions it in a section about the ALS120:
https://hattix.co.uk/hardware/index.php?page=sound.html
So it seems that it's an Advance waveblaster, makes you think that it should work with an Advance sound card...

Rawit wrote on 2023-09-04, 08:07:

Does this card supply both 5v and 12v?

I don't know yet, I assume so. Sound cards are supposed to provide +5, +12 and -12v to the waveblaster.

I'm planning to use an oscilloscope to check if I can see MIDI signals going to the waveblaster and sound signals coming back. Will also check the voltage rails then, thanks for the tip.

Reply 8 of 14, by phjanderson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did some measurements with an oscilloscope. The voltages on the +5, +12 and -12v pins are ok. The reset pin goes low when I press reset on the PC. The MIDI pin is high when inactive and shows sequences with blips to low when I start a MIDI tune. But there's no signal on the audio outputs (except for a tiny amount of noise). I measure about 100k ohms between the waveblaster audio inputs and ground on the ALS120, so there is no short on the ALS120.

I removed the ALS120, installed the same waveblaster board on a Terratec Solo-1, and immediately things start to work again. So the waveblaster board is definitely okay.

This is very odd. All the signals on the waveblaster pins on the ALS120 seem okay (for as far as I can judge with a simple oscilloscope), the waveblaster itself works fine with another audio card. Why then is there no audio coming out of the waveblaster on the audio pins??? Seems like it doesn't understand the MIDI signals coming from the ALS120.

Reply 9 of 14, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Long shot: have youtried sending a GM reset before MIDI playback.

Anither point to check is the actual MIDI signal that the card is receiving. Is it at the right clock speed ? Is the signal at the right level and "clean" ?

Reply 10 of 14, by phjanderson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmmm, it turns out the waveblaster board might be bad after all...

I found back my gameport to MIDI cable to test if that would produce a valid MIDI signal. I first tested with the Terratec as it was still installed. The gameport MIDI signal was fine but the waveblaster was quiet. Did some restarts, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Next I tried the ALS120. To my surprise both the waveblaster and gameport MIDI worked. Unfortunately only once, the gameport MIDI continued to work but the waveblaster was quiet again and again. So somehow the ALS120 makes the waveblaster card "more broken" than the Terratec...

Sigh... why can't things just break in a binary manner, either working or broken... 😉

Anyway, the ALS120 waveblaster connector seems fine. The waveblaster signal seems to be routed through the "Synthesizer" fader in the mixer panel in Win98SE.

Reply 12 of 14, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Waveblaster volume is indeed tied with the Synthesizer volume with the ALS card. I remember with my ALS card and a DOS install that the joystick port had to be disabled for something MIDI related to work. Do those cards output MIDI through the joystick port and Waveblaster connector simultaneously?

YouTube

Reply 13 of 14, by phjanderson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rawit wrote on 2023-09-05, 07:45:

Waveblaster volume is indeed tied with the Synthesizer volume with the ALS card. I remember with my ALS card and a DOS install that the joystick port had to be disabled for something MIDI related to work. Do those cards output MIDI through the joystick port and Waveblaster connector simultaneously?

Yes, if I remember correctly. I think that one time the waveblaster worked with the ALS120, I also heard sound from the MIDI device connected through the gameport. Same for the Terratec.

Reply 14 of 14, by phjanderson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
retrodevices wrote on 2023-09-04, 20:19:

Check the solders of the ROM and the QDSP chips.

Just checked it with magnifying goggles, I see no signs of bad solder joints, but it's somewhat difficult to judge.

I already tried putting pressure on several parts of the board during operation to see if that would influence the problem, but to no avail.

Might just be a broken chip.