VOGONS

First post, by mitchkramez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all, I've got a bit of a unique card here it would seem, that I can't find any details on it specifically. I've included some photos, but I'd love any info or manual and any software anyone might have for it. Hoping someone here will know something about this thing!

1ylnVwS43Yc64p6s8kT2+
JzZxP4tMQQY29z6JPmv4+

Last edited by mitchkramez on 2023-09-07, 15:18. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 9, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

At least in DOS it should work without drivers. Its jumpered to IRQ7 DMA1. address is probably 220.
A "SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 T5" in the autoexec.bat should do the trick if something doesnt work.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 2 of 9, by mitchkramez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks @DerBaum - I do have it working fine in DOS, I was really just hoping for the correct windows 3.1 drivers and any other software/information that might be out there for it.

My assumption is that it's a Sound Blaster Pro clone, given the yamaha chip on there, and the fact it doesn't mention "16" anywhere, but I would love to see some sort of manual or specs or something on it, but still coming up empty on that front!

Reply 3 of 9, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It has one OPL2. So maximum it is a Sound Blaster 2.0 clone.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.
PS. If I upload RAR, it is a 16-bit DOS RAR Version 2.50.

Reply 5 of 9, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try installing the default Sound Blaster drivers for Windows 3.x/9x and it will probably work 100% fine with them..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 6 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think the same and agree with the others here.

That card is an 8-bit Sound Blaster compatible, really.
The Toptek chip in the upper left corner is just an 8051 compatible or similar microcontroller, as used by the real Sound Blaster 2 or some Aztech cards.

The reason it has a 16-Bit ISA connector is probably to allow for higher value IRQ/DMA numbers (AT PCs and up) and/or for that Mitsumi (?) CD-ROM interface (not IDE compatible, different pinout).

If you need drivers, you can download the Creative ones at Vogons drivers site.
I did this with my clone cards and it worked fine.

Just keep in mind that these drivers are rarely needed.
The most important one is an alternative to sound.com, which was part of the AdLib diskette.
A few games uses this as some sort of MIDI driver, to get music out of the OPL2 (YM3812).

Other than that, there's no real drivers needed. It's fully 8-Bit Sound Blaster compatible and games know to handle that one all on their own.

The advantage of SB 2.x compatibles is, that they support all the awkward DMA modes and compression types of the original Sound Blaster 1.0.

They also support auto-init DMA, as introduced by the firmware of the Sound Blaster 1.5.
The latter was so popular, I believe, that Creative sold an 1.5 firmware upgrade to 1.0 owners for a short moment in time (= new microcontroller or re-flashing of old one).

What SB 2.0 introduced over 1.5 was a better PCB design (less noise) and a higher sampling rate (44100 mono).

So unless 44,1 KHz sampling rate are needed, Windows 3.1x's Sound Blaster 1.5 driver will do fine.
It also is a bit less strict/more generic than Creative's official SB 2.0 driver, maybe.

Btw, the highest evolved 8-Bit model was the MediaVision Thunderboard, maybe. It also had clean audio.
It was *merely *SB 1.5 compatible, but did hide its real DSP revision behind the official one.
If the DSP was checked twice in a row, the Thunderboard mentioned its real version number, if I remember correctly.
So Thunderboard aware applications could make use of extra features (44,1 KHz samoling rate, some new compression types etc).
Anyway, I'm getting a bit off-topic again. 😅

Another program to test is PC GEOS 2.0 or higher (Geoworks Ensemble, Breadbox Ensemble etc).
It also supports 8-Bit soundcards..

PS: There also was a Sound Blaster 2.5 and a Sound Blaster Pro 4.0. 😋
- Both sold by CPS under agreement with Creative.
They were an rebadged Aztech SoundGalaxy NX II and Aztech Sound Galaxy NX Pro Extra, respectively.

Edit: Please don't get me wrong. I didn't mean to say the card is unspectacular or whatsoever. Rather the contrary.
An 8-Bit Sound Blaster is very compatible to classic games and doesn't cause nearly as much trouble as newer models.
Sounds effects used to be recorded at 11 KHz or 22 KHz, anyway, which the card can handle perfectly fine.
It also doesn't have "clicking sound" issues, like SB16 era cards often have.
Then, there's the volume balance between DAC/OPL chip.
8-Bit Sound Blasters had a different balance compared to later models.
It could be that this card is faithful here (if not, some games allow setting a volume for music/sfx).

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 9, by mitchkramez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all for the details! one last question I do have is the sony 34 pin interface for the cdrom- does this require drivers or should that just work? i'm guessing it needs drivers. it's one of the old 2x drives -cdu33a drives.

Reply 8 of 9, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jo22 wrote on 2023-09-09, 04:42:

The latter was so popular, I believe, that Creative sold an 1.5 firmware upgrade to 1.0 owners for a short moment in time (= new microcontroller or re-flashing of old one).

Definitely not re-flashing. Creative always used mask-programmed 8051 chips on their cards. The chip labeled "DSP-1321" on the Soundblaster 1.0 is socketed, so a new microcontroller could easily be inserted by experienced end-users.

Reply 9 of 9, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mkarcher wrote on 2023-09-09, 17:09:
Jo22 wrote on 2023-09-09, 04:42:

Definitely not re-flashing. Creative always used mask-programmed 8051 chips on their cards. The chip labeled "DSP-1321" on the Soundblaster 1.0 is socketed, so a new microcontroller could easily be inserted by experienced end-users.

Ah, I see. That makes sense, my bad. Thanks for the information! 😃👍

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//