VOGONS

First post, by squ1rrel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all, I'm toying with a Compaq Armada 1750 which has an ESS1869 chipset built-in. I'm using the 95 VxD drivers found in the Vogons driver collection. I can tell that Windows has the card in PnP mode set with SB address at 220h, OPL at 388h and MPU at 330h.

Playing Duke Nukem 3D under 98SE I can make the setup play FM music and SFX in Sound Blaster mode without issues under those addresses. It also plays music through the ESS wavetable if I try General Midi. However, I can't get Adlib Tracker II to output any sound under 98SE. It correctly recognizes the card automatically at 388h and I also tried setting that address manually in the INI file. I've checked that in Windows volume mixer both synthesizer and auxB are enabled and at high volume. If I reboot into DOS mode, Adlib Tracker II plays without issues (other than the textmode being glitchy with the Radeon card the laptop has).

Does anybody have any suggestions? Thanks!

Reply 1 of 2, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got it working under 98SE with the Orpheus II soundcard. I don't see why it wouldn't work with a ESS card. I did have to adjust the OPL3 latency setting to get proper audio output since the setup was writing to the chip registers too quickly.

Reply 2 of 2, by squ1rrel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know the ESS chipset itself isn't the issue, I have another Compaq Armada 7800 which runs AT2 under 98 just fine... I'm sure I'm setting something up wrong, but I'm out of ideas where else to look, which is why I turned to here 😀

The fact other DOS software can access the OPL3 in 98 just fine, only AT2 can't, but AT2 can in DOS mode, boggles me.