VOGONS

First post, by conzyor34

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I have an AST Advantage 826 with a built-in sound card. It's a Crystal CS4232 with a real OPL3 on the motherboard. A ribbon cable connects the motherboard to a second daughterboard containing the wave-table capability built with QDSP QS700 and LGS GMS80C501. It's not a standard waveblaster-type board, however; it's an AST proprietary PCB containing also the output jacks for the sound card and a CD-audio connector. I am using the CS4232 drivers version 1.80 from this page: http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=925. I'm using the stock cs4232.ini included with that driver download.

These are the components of the sound card that are located on the motherboard:
9qHlPfml.jpg

These are the components located on the daughterboard:
GMLm5Htl.jpg

All the functions of the card seem to work nicely except... under DOS, I cannot hear the wave table. I am making the assumption that the wave table is connected to the MPU-401 function of the Crystal chipset, so I configure the game for General MIDI on port 330. The test utility (say, the imuse.exe utility that comes with Tie Fighter or setup.exe in Descent) appears to play the MIDI file but there's no sound. I don't have an external MIDI device to connect to the game port to test the MIDI output there.

I have un-muted all the inputs in the CS4232 mixer:

XZAq7hil.jpg

Do you have any idea how to enable the wave table audio to the CS4232 mixer? There is a mystery jumper on the sound card I have tried on/off. I have also tried all 4 combinations of XCTL1/XCTL0 in case those are connected to some kind of external MUX that handles wavetable audio.

This seems like it should be simple. What dumb thing am I doing wrong?

Reply 2 of 11, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

These QDSP chips have a config file located under the driver directory. Look for FDAC_SRC and set it to SHARE.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 3 of 11, by conzyor34

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I believe FDAC_SRC is a setting found in SOUND16.CFG for Opti chipsets, isn't it? This is a CS4232 chipset, so it doesn't have that file or setting. This is the first card I've come across that combines CS4232 chipset with QS700 wave table. Does the CS4232 have an equivalent setting?

Reply 4 of 11, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

http://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/fm_synthesizers.php#CS4232

http://www.dosdays.co.uk/media/crystal/cwd_dos.zip

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB

Reply 5 of 11, by conzyor34

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the links. Yes, that's my chip. Yes, those are exactly the drivers I am using to initialize the card. My CS4232.ini file is stock, as found in that cwd_dos.zip archive. There is no FDAC_SRC option. It does work in windows.

Does anyone have these chips and has this working under DOS?

dominusprog wrote on 2023-09-12, 13:37:

Reply 6 of 11, by Pickle

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Is windows running something different in the autoexec? Maybe another batch file like dosstart.bat? Maybe you know already but hit escape to see if something is running at startup that you don’t have in your dos mode startup

Reply 7 of 11, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So what about the diagnostic tool that came with the driver? Also, did you try to change any of the parameters in CS4232.INI?

Duke_2600.png

Reply 8 of 11, by conzyor34

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The diagnostic tool checks out, but they don't check MIDI. On the theory that AST had a specially modified CS4232C.EXE, I tracked down an original driver disk image from the Internet Archive and used those drivers, to no avail.

I guess I'll give up on this and build an external module to connect to the joystick/midi port. The QS700 sound quality isn't worth this effort anyway, from the samples I've heard. Thanks for trying to help me.

Reply 9 of 11, by conzyor34

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

...and it magically started working today. The wave table output is on the "synth" volume slider mixed in with the OPL3 output. Without any driver changes or any other changes, it... just started working. Sigh.

Reply 10 of 11, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The same thing happened to me with a 486 board. Probably caused by the aging caps.

Duke_2600.png

Reply 11 of 11, by conzyor34

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SOLVED! Not magic! I had my joystick plugged in the whole time, and it rudely shorts pin 12 (MIDI OUT) to ground. When I said "I didn't make any changes" what I really meant was "I unplugged my joystick." Since the wave table and external MIDI both share that same line, having the joystick plugged in shorted both out. I'm just happy no damage to the midi circuit occurred.