VOGONS

First post, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi

I recently extended my retro interest to sound cards for DOS and i have some questions about upgrading my current setup.

I will soon receive my SC-55 and i'm preparing my setup for it.

It's a late Dos/Windows 95 system.

• MMX233 downclocked to ~150Mhz (to help with speed sensitive games along with setmul)
  • PCPartner TXB820DS (Intel 430TX AT Board)
  • 32MB EDO
  • TsengLabs ET6100
  • Voodoo
  • Sound Blaster 16 CT2290

With some searchin, i read that the CT2290 was less severely affected by the hanging note bug.
That's a good point !
But also that in some situation, using digital audio along with MIDI could cause stutters / slowdowns.
And that a solution could be to use a second card for MIDI out for the SC-55.

Is my understanding correct to that point ?

I'm now looking for a card combination that could work with my constraints...

• My case is really small and some tall ISA cards does not fit. Like AWE64s... i have several models and they are too tall and prevent the case to be closed correctly (and the case panel pushes against the card)
  • I would like to keep the feature set of the Sound Blaster 16 : SB 16 compat + real OPL3 (there are games which i prefer with OPL3 rather than wavetable synthesis)
  • Bug-free hardware MPU-401 implem
  • Preferably good compatibility an no TSR
  • MPU-401 intelligent mode is not required for my use

I came with a possibly viable solution (on the paper) :

• Keeping my SoundBlaster 16
  • PLUS +
  • Adding an ES1868 AudioDrive i already own (have 2 or 3 cards with this chip)

Is that a correct combination ? Or am i missing something ?

Thank you very much

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 1 of 13, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The easiest solution would be to add one of your ES1868 cards to that system. As long as you configure both cards to use different resources, you won't have any problems.

You can use the ESS card for MPU-401 duties and the SB16 for the rest, if you so prefer. Additionally, some older "talkie" adventure games can benefit from the SBPro low-pass filter on the ESS card, if you like that kind of sound (I do).

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 13, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-09-14, 10:28:

The easiest solution would be to add one of your ES1868 cards to that system. As long as you configure both cards to use different resources, you won't have any problems.

You can use the ESS card for MPU-401 duties and the SB16 for the rest, if you so prefer. Additionally, some older "talkie" adventure games can benefit from the SBPro low-pass filter on the ESS card, if you like that kind of sound (I do).

Thank you for your confirmation.
I reviewed the cards i already have and that i could use along the SB16 and this ESS one ticked most of the boxes.
I will definitely try the digital sound on it as well ! (This card is part of a lot i got this summer and i had no time since then to test anything)

Reply 3 of 13, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm a bit confused as to the height requirements. You mention you have a SB16 CT2290 , which is a pretty big card, but an AWE64 won't fit? The AWE64 should be the same height as an SB16 CT2290.

Adding an ESS-based card would probably be fine.

Another option would be getting something like a Yamaha Audician 32 card, since they are quite compact, offer clean sound output, SB Pro compatibility, bug-free MIDI support, and genuine OPL.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 4 of 13, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-09-14, 15:54:

I'm a bit confused as to the height requirements. You mention you have a SB16 CT2290 , which is a pretty big card, but an AWE64 won't fit? The AWE64 should be the same height as an SB16 CT2290.

It's more the height above the ISA bracket that causes my problem.
It's a quite thin and compact desktop case :

case.jpg
Filename
case.jpg
File size
1.25 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
inside.jpg
Filename
inside.jpg
File size
1.59 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Once closed, if the card is too tall, then it can touch the case top panel... and since i'm putting a CRT over it, the weight is applied on the card PCB.

AWE64.jpg
Filename
AWE64.jpg
File size
966.53 KiB
Views
File comment
AWE64 Value and AWE64 "normal"
File license
CC-BY-4.0
SB16-ESS.jpg
Filename
SB16-ESS.jpg
File size
1.02 MiB
Views
File comment
My SB16 and the ESS card
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Another option would be getting something like a Yamaha Audician 32 card, since they are quite compact, offer clean sound output, SB Pro compatibility, bug-free MIDI support, and genuine OPL.

Yes, i had the opportunity to buy one a few weeks ago... but i passed. (Even if it was not expensive, ~20€, i had no specific use for it)

Reply 5 of 13, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
acl wrote on 2023-09-14, 19:54:

It's more the height above the ISA bracket that causes my problem.
It's a quite thin and compact desktop case :

Ah, understood. Yeah, the AWE64 has an extra 5mm of height to the PCB and I guess in your case that makes all the difference.

Yes, i had the opportunity to buy one a few weeks ago... but i passed. (Even if it was not expensive, ~20€, i had no specific use for it)

They're good cards. They can even be modded to replicate the original SB Pro low-pass filtering.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 6 of 13, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

als100 non-plus with a yamaha or unlicensed clone is probably what you want...could replace the sb16 entirely if you find a quiet one. they're not too hard to find. this one is up for sale right now for $25 buy it now:

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
454.03 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

i run an ess688 with a yamaha opl3 which is similar to the als100 (except no sb16 compatibility) and very quiet; however, the mpu401 is emulated (tsr) so i don't know if you'd want to deal with that.

an aztech azt2320 is another option with an integrated yamaha opl3 and real mpu401. they are cheap, plentiful and excellent. the cut down revisions are the triangle shaped cards.

Reply 7 of 13, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
stanwebber wrote on 2023-09-15, 07:54:
als100 non-plus with a yamaha or unlicensed clone is probably what you want...could replace the sb16 entirely if you find a quie […]
Show full quote

als100 non-plus with a yamaha or unlicensed clone is probably what you want...could replace the sb16 entirely if you find a quiet one. they're not too hard to find. this one is up for sale right now for $25 buy it now:
s-l1600.jpg
i run an ess688 with a yamaha opl3 which is similar to the als100 (except no sb16 compatibility) and very quiet; however, the mpu401 is emulated (tsr) so i don't know if you'd want to deal with that.

an aztech azt2320 is another option with an integrated yamaha opl3 and real mpu401. they are cheap, plentiful and excellent. the cut down revisions are the triangle shaped cards.

I considered this card too after reading about it here (https://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/Manufacturer … avancelogic.php)
But i don't currently have one (while i already have some ES1868 (at least 3 different models)). I will try the cards i have first... i already have too much things on storage 😁)
I have an ALS120 (which also provides a bug-free MPU-401 interface... but is worse than ALS100)

I'm also thinking about swapping the case and motherboard for a larger case and ATX Socket 7 board.
I got new ones after assembling this system.
That way i could use an AWE64 for 16bit sound and bugfree midi + Another OPL3 card (bugfree midi too). This would give me better flexibility.

Reply 8 of 13, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd also recommend an ESS. I adore the ESS in my machine, but more importantly in this case, it works flawlessly with midi. The 1868 is an excellent choice, I have a 1888 which is only slightly different.

Reply 9 of 13, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
midicollector wrote on 2023-09-16, 20:27:

I'd also recommend an ESS. I adore the ESS in my machine, but more importantly in this case, it works flawlessly with midi. The 1868 is an excellent choice, I have a 1888 which is only slightly different.

Thanks !
I will test this setup and update the post after testing... soon i hope. Not much free time lately

Reply 10 of 13, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I ultimately made the choice of only keeping the ES1868.
It does not support 16 bit sound like SB16/AWE32/AWE64. But it's the only drawback.
The FM synthesis sounds really close to a real OPL3 (at least for me playing Dune).

This card ticks all the boxes otherwise. Compact, not trouble with MPU-401 (no hanging notes, no system slowdowns). I'm happy with it for the moment.

I understand why this card is getting some love.

Reply 11 of 13, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
acl wrote on 2023-10-08, 14:00:

It does not support 16 bit sound like SB16/AWE32/AWE64. But it's the only drawback.

You can use its native AudioDrive mode for 16-bit sound in games which support that, like Heroes of Might and Magic 2 for example.

It's also possible to transplant AUDIODRV.DIG into other games which use the Miles Sound System, though not all games will work with it. I posted some instructions for that here.

Additionally, it might be fun to experiment with native/enhanced ESFM in games which support that. The results can be pretty interesting, if the implementation was handled well. More info here: ESFM details

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 12 of 13, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-10-08, 14:07:
You can use its native AudioDrive mode for 16-bit sound in games which support that, like Heroes of Might and Magic 2 for exampl […]
Show full quote
acl wrote on 2023-10-08, 14:00:

You can use its native AudioDrive mode for 16-bit sound in games which support that, like Heroes of Might and Magic 2 for example.

It's also possible to transplant AUDIODRV.DIG into other games which use the Miles Sound System, though not all games will work with it. I posted some instructions for that here.

Additionally, it might be fun to experiment with native/enhanced ESFM in games which support that. The results can be pretty interesting, if the implementation was handled well. More info here: ESFM details

Thanks !
I found a list of Miles Sound System games on vogonsdrivers. Not sure why it's hosted here since its not a driver
But I will give it a try if I want to play something in this list .

http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=30&menustate=0

Reply 13 of 13, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know what's happening with the output.
There is a jumper to disable the amplified output. But when it's "off" the sound is really crappy.
Muffled or filtered.
But with amplification I can't use headphones.
With amplification+ reduced volume in the mixer I'm picking a lot of noise.

The best I could do was to leave it amplified+ add a passive volume knob to turn the volume down for the headphones.

Do you know what could cause the muffled/filtered sound ?