VOGONS

First post, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can i use Roland E-30 & E-30 keyboard synthesizer for DOS gaming like a midi box MT-32 and CM-32L .
Both synthesizer has mifi in and out socket, snd line out.
Thanks any helping thoughts.

Reply 1 of 4, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The E-20 is a second gen MT-32, the E-30 is a CM-32L (plus some extra mixed PCM).

I've been looking for a (reasonably priced) E-30 for a while!

You can also use the E-10 which is a first gen MT-32 from memory, the E-5 might not be quite up to spec, not sure.

Reply 3 of 4, by midiphile

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
envagyok wrote on 2023-09-16, 16:06:

Roland E-14 too compatible with some midi device?

Sadly, the E-14 does not have a MIDI in port and can't be used as an external sound source. It only has a MIDI out port. The E-14 is from the fourth generation of the E-series, released in 1996. It uses the SC-55 mkII's TC6116AF and has most of the SC-55 mkII's instruments. The main difference in the sound sources in the later entry-level E-series keyboards is the smaller wave ROM sizes. The samples are compressed to the point where the quality reduction is audible to even the untrained ear. A few samples, such as the SFX laugh, are entirely cut out. Most of the other models have both MIDI in and out and are more or less SC-55 compatible. The top-range models from this generation had a number of SC-88 instruments.

Reply 4 of 4, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
envagyok wrote on 2023-09-16, 16:06:

Roland E-14 too compatible with some midi device?

The E-14 is a Sound Canvas era keyboard and you might be able to use it as a SC-55, but the other poster has brought up issues related to that keyboard. I'd have to research a little more, but there doesn't seem to be any advantage to using it.

For Sound Canvas era, the best seem to be JV-30, and JV-35/50.