VOGONS

First post, by gab486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I have an ESS Audiodrive card which says "EAGLE E688+968", tried to get it working under DOS but none of the drivers worked for me from the Driver Library.
The "ES688 Audiodrive Full install for Dos" one was promising because it let me set address, irq, dma but I don't really know how to determine these parameters.
Did not find anything about this particular card on the internet, not even a pic of the same card.
Motherboard is a I486SV2G .
Can someone give some advice please?
Here's a pic.

Regards,
Gab

Attachments

• ess.jpg
    Filename
    ess.jpg
    File size
    1.59 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Use the default values for SB Pro:
address = 220h
IRQ = 5
DMA = 1

Also, it may be helpful to disable PnP - try installing the JP1 jumper.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 2 of 9, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i prefer unisound for my es688. it's one of the few cards that works with the /nopnp switch. all you have to do is set a blaster environment variable before running unisound. the es968 pnp chip (missing on my card) may complicate things for you, but if you can disable pnp by jumper i don't see why it wouldn't work. i'm not aware, but unisound may just work with your card as-is since it's pnp.

Reply 3 of 9, by gab486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Tried with/without JP1 jumper installed (disable pnp), and unisound with pnp/nopnp mode, but it tells me "No PnP card detected" and "No card detected".. 🙁
Is there any bios settings or should I try inserting the card in other slot?

Reply 4 of 9, by sfryers

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does it get detected by the BIOS? I've had plenty of dusty old ISA cards which only came to life after cleaning the contacts on the edge connector with some contact cleaner then pulling them in and out of the slot a few times.

MT-32 Editor- a timbre editor and patch librarian for Roland MT-32 compatible devices: https://github.com/sfryers/MT32Editor

Reply 5 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I doubt there's a 486 BIOS that's PNP-aware.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść na moją górę, lecz i w tym, że ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 6 of 9, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grzyb wrote on 2023-09-21, 16:54:

I doubt there's a 486 BIOS that's PNP-aware.

I have one...

2023-09-21 20.38.22.jpg
Filename
2023-09-21 20.38.22.jpg
File size
1.48 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 8 of 9, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DerBaum wrote on 2023-09-21, 18:39:

I have one...

Oh, some SBC from 1998 - very late for a 486, indeed.

Anyway, it would be a good idea to try that card in some machine with PNP BIOS.
If the BIOS can't see any PNP devices, there must be something wrong with the card - bad contact, or...

bridged.jpg
Filename
bridged.jpg
File size
22.65 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Aren't there two pins bridged? Is that normal?

Reply 9 of 9, by gab486

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My MB isn't PnP - but it gives some output if I have a speaker connected to the card's output - when switching on/off the computer, thats all, nothing when trying to load the drivers.
I have no idea whether the card is working or not, I have it like 20 years and this is the first time I wanted to try.
Also I don't see that pins bridged.