VOGONS

First post, by EriolGaurhoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having a problem with certain games and settings in Windows 95 with a dual ISA sound card setup, a Sound Blaster AWE32 and Gravis Ultrasound. I like using Gravis for music in many games simply because I like the way it sounds and I prefer using the AWE32 for everything else. Some games don't really play well with the Ultrasound, in which case I simply change the card in the settings over to the SB. In most cases this works fine, and in the Windows 95 Multimedia settings I have the AWE32 set as the default sound card.

However...

There are a few games and applications that no matter what I seem to do to ensure the system uses the Sound Blaster FIRST and the Ultrasound SECOND, the system sets it up the other way around. For example, QuickTime 2.1.2 has "Audio1" as the Ultrasound Waveform Output and "Audio2" SB16 Wave Out in spite of the fact that my Windows 95 system specifies the SB as the default output. As far as I can tell, there's no way to swap these two values. I've tried swapping around the order in which the cards load in autoexec.bat thinking that would fix it, but it still wants to use the Ultrasound as the default card. I've also tried swapping the IRQ values thinking that automatic sound card detection was affected by this ordering. The only way I can get it to use SB first is by physically removing the Ultrasound card.

This also happens with any Multimedia-Director-5.0-based game/application I use as well as Fury3. No matter what, Fury3 defaults to Gravis, which in this case plays very very quietly if at all since it's not fully supported, and the only way to get it to use the SB card is again, to physically remove the Gravis Ultrasound from my machine. Has anyone ever had a setup like this an experienced these issues? Is there a software fix or do I have to just run the machine without Gravis to get proper working sound in many/most of these games?

Reply 1 of 2, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't bother installing the Windows 9x driver for the GUS, it is buggy and suboptimal. Just simply initialize the sound card with ULTRINIT in AUTOEXEC.BAT.

In case you have connected the AWE output into the GUS line-in and play DOS games within Windows using the GUS, I recommend adding a PIF shortcut for ULTRAMIX with the Windows detection disabled (or re-run ULTRINIT which is less complicated) to re-enable the line-in port.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 2, by EriolGaurhoth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-09-21, 13:49:

Don't bother installing the Windows 9x driver for the GUS, it is buggy and suboptimal. Just simply initialize the sound card with ULTRINIT in AUTOEXEC.BAT.

In case you have connected the AWE output into the GUS line-in and play DOS games within Windows using the GUS, I recommend adding a PIF shortcut for ULTRAMIX with the Windows detection disabled (or re-run ULTRINIT which is less complicated) to re-enable the line-in port.

Great suggestion, this works quite well! My only concern is if there are any Windows 95 native games (i.e. fully 32 bit and not relying on DOS or DOS drivers) where I'd rather hear the GUS sound over the AWE32 sound that would require the installation of said buggy drivers, but I've yet to encounter any such situation.