VOGONS

First post, by Numbuh 128Bit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My Intel D845EPI/D845GSVR motha'board just stopped working after I turned it off after putting a used PCI sound card in there. I also had a USB flash drive inserted because I forgot to remove it in advance. I couldn't get past POST to the XP boot screen because of the drive. The board powered on fine that time, but afterwards, it never powered on again. I have no idea if the flash drive or the sound card caused this, but that board died at that moment. I had to swap my Windows XP SP3 Hard Drive with an exact copy of that motherboard. After managing to get the XP reactivated, by Audio Device (Realtek Audio AC 97) stops being detected every time I boot the machine up. I downloaded the sound driver, reinstalled it, but that still didn't help. Device Manager says that it's working fine, but that's not true. I discovered that I could get it to work by disabling it and re-enabling it under Device Manager, but i have to do this every time. I personally don't mind this because the "3D Depth" feature in Volume Control is so very worth it!. However...every time I play game with CD audio (Redbook), the music doesn't play anymore. Nothing fixed this, not even turning up the CD volume in Volume Control or putting the game in the other CD Drive (I have 2 installed). The music plays fine in Windows Media Player, but not at all in games anymore. Will I have to roll back the driver, uninstall then re-install, or am I stuck like this? Here are my XP's specs:

Operating System: Windows XP Home Version 2002 Service Pack 3
Motherboard: Intel D845EPI/D845GSVR
Audio Driver: Realtek AC 97 Audio v5.10.0.5580 dated May 14th, 2004
Audio Controller: INTEL (ICH4)
AC'97 Codec: ALC202A

All help is greatly welcomed.

Note: Even though Device Manager says "PCI bus 0", the ALC202 chip is built-in, not on a PCI sound card.