VOGONS

First post, by shandavid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I always felt that the sound of SC8850 was not as good as that of SC88Pro. I thought it was because SC8850 used a switching power supply.
After replacing it with a Cable Creation power cord, the sound became smoother and sweeter. Now the sound is as good as SC88Pro, if not better.

Played by SC8850:
https://youtu.be/aYk2w2QlCnc
You can listen to the video above to see if the sound is more comfortable and better than other SC8850 videos.

Attachments

• Snap1.jpg
    Filename
    Snap1.jpg
    File size
    100.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 1.jpg
    Filename
    1.jpg
    File size
    170.02 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by shandavid on 2023-09-27, 10:27. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 1 of 26, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

aah I see we found the audiophile. still, you can do better, you need a mogami gold nitrogen infused pure copper 1 million strand cable! Only then will it be suuuuuper smooth and suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper sweet. It would be like have Tom Lord-Alge on your left and right ear, constantly mixing to universal harmony.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 2 of 26, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does this cable has current flow direction? 😁

from СМ630 to Ryzen gen. 3
engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 3 of 26, by shandavid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BloodyCactus wrote on 2023-09-26, 16:29:

aah I see we found the audiophile. still, you can do better, you need a mogami gold nitrogen infused pure copper 1 million strand cable! Only then will it be suuuuuper smooth and suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuper sweet. It would be like have Tom Lord-Alge on your left and right ear, constantly mixing to universal harmony.

Modern HIFI is garbage
My speakers are from the 1980s
Good sound quality doesn’t necessarily require a lot of money, but it does have to be done right

Reply 4 of 26, by shandavid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-09-26, 16:34:

Does this cable has current flow direction? 😁

The thickness of the copper wire and the plastic cover of the wire affect the sound quality,
materials have a great impact to sound, the principle is similar to a musical instrument

But most people don't need to pay attention to these, they only need to pay attention to the sound difference

Last edited by shandavid on 2023-09-26, 16:50. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 26, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shandavid wrote on 2023-09-26, 16:46:

but most people don't need to pay attention to these, they only need to pay attention to the sound difference

I dont wear a tin foil hat, so things sound pretty good to me.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--

Reply 6 of 26, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The thickness of the copper wire and the plastic cover of the wire affect the sound quality,

but most people don't need to pay attention to these, they only need to pay attention to the sound difference

I'm sorry, but I've two bad news for ya. First one: The thickness of the copper wire in the power cord has nothing to do with sound quality, but with amount of current it can "carry". And second: g00gl, wiki....a and similar sites, known amongst zoomers as "sources of universal knowledge", can not compensate for the fundamental gaps in secondary education.

The only things that can affect the sound quality from power cord or plug is ground looping or bad grounding.

engineer's five pennies: this world goes south since everything's run by financiers and economists
this isn't voice chat, yet some people, overusing online communications, "talk" and "hear voices"

Reply 7 of 26, by shandavid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BloodyCactus wrote on 2023-09-26, 16:50:

I dont wear a tin foil hat, so things sound pretty good to me.

? sorry I don't understand what you mean, english is not my mother language
After changing the cable to Cable Creation (it's very cheap), the sound will be a little more comfortable and better.

Reply 8 of 26, by shandavid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-09-26, 16:56:

I'm sorry, but I've two bad news for ya. First one: The thickness of the copper wire in the power cord has nothing to do with sound quality, but with amount of current it can "carry". And second: g00gl, wiki....a and similar sites, known amongst zoomers as "sources of universal knowledge", can not compensate for the fundamental gaps in secondary education.

The only things that can affect the sound quality from power cord or plug is ground looping or bad grounding.

The thickness of the power cord will obviously affect the sound.
For example, if you use 22AWG wire for power cord, the bass will be significantly reduced.
If you use a 10AWG wire, the sound will be muddy. It is best to use 14AWG for power cord.
This Cable Creation I think it is 18AWG, not ideal, not bad either

Reply 9 of 26, by analog_programmer

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok. I'm going to talk with my radio.

Reply 10 of 26, by shandavid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
analog_programmer wrote on 2023-09-26, 17:06:

It’s normal for most people not to hear small differences,
(But replacing the power cord for the SC8850 is not a small difference. The original cord sucks.)

but you can definitely hear the difference between a CD player from the 1980s and a modern CD player.
The one from the 1980s will sound much better and more comfortable than the modern one.

Reply 11 of 26, by shandavid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Modern HIFI, such as CDs, amps, speakers, are all garbage.
But every year people think the sound quality is improving because they can't correctly distinguish the subtle sound quality.
Most people are just messing around, so the sound gets worse and worse.

I know why you laugh at audiophiles, they really are a bunch of idiots,
I am a music lover. I started listening to vinyl in the 1980s when I was 5 years old. I am not an audiophile.

Reply 12 of 26, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I put them (a bot?) on mute. this is the strangest nonsensical thread I've seen in a long time 🤣

Reply 13 of 26, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Its pretty simple to get the proper thickness of the cable by maths.

The SC8850 takes 11Watts at 230Volts. Thats 0.04782 Ampere.
Our supplied voltage is AC. The assumed cable length is 2 Meter. The assumed loss is 3%. Assuming both ends of the cable have proper connection.

Screenshot 2023-09-26 210738.png
Filename
File size
31.44 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

The optimal cable thickness is 0.0005mm² .

Everything above that will make no difference.

In american freedom units its the same story...

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 14 of 26, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have no idea what I’m talking about here so keep that in mind, but I think that an unshielded/uninsulated cable might be able to introduce some noise/interference on the line, but the power supply should be filtering out any noise in the power input anyway. But maybe if you had a ton of noise and interference on the line plus the filtering of the power supply wasn’t working?

If the cord is broken I would think the machine just wouldn’t work but maybe he’s having problems with a broken cord working intermittently?

Bottom line, if he likes his sound better with his new cord, that’s awesome for him even if it is just psychological.

I’d like to give him the benefit of the doubt and not just assume he’s here to sell cords. Even if he is here to sell cords, it is cool that people are making cords specifically thinking of our old equipment so I wouldn’t want to criticize him too much for that.

Reply 16 of 26, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The SC-8850 poor sound (and "poor" being a relative term only!), at least in part, seems to be the DAC used. The SC-88/88 Pro used really quality parts (Burr Brown DACs), around the time of the 8850 Roland used some DAC's that were much more generic (more modern AKM ones). Ironically, the SC-8820 and SC-D70 both use a Burr Brown DAC and sound better (IMO).

But a power cord.. obviously isn't going to change much. I wish power cords would have such magic properties, especially on my older, noiser synths like the MT-32!

Reply 17 of 26, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Spikey wrote on 2023-09-27, 07:27:

...I wish power cords...

For optimal listening pleasure i recommend gold plated optical cables.

goldical.jpg
Filename
goldical.jpg
File size
8.17 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 18 of 26, by shandavid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DerBaum wrote on 2023-09-26, 19:12:
The SC8850 takes 11Watts at 230Volts. Thats 0.04782 Ampere. Our supplied voltage is AC. The assumed cable length is 2 Meter. Th […]
Show full quote

The SC8850 takes 11Watts at 230Volts. Thats 0.04782 Ampere.
Our supplied voltage is AC. The assumed cable length is 2 Meter. The assumed loss is 3%. Assuming both ends of the cable have proper connection.

The optimal cable thickness is 0.0005mm² .

Everything above that will make no difference.

In american freedom units its the same story...

??
These have nothing to do with sound quality

Last edited by shandavid on 2023-09-27, 10:29. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 19 of 26, by shandavid

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DerBaum wrote on 2023-09-27, 08:06:
Spikey wrote on 2023-09-27, 07:27:

...I wish power cords...

For optimal listening pleasure i recommend gold plated optical cables.

goldical.jpg

SC8850 cannot use optical fiber cables,

Just uploaded a video, have a listen 😀

Last edited by shandavid on 2023-09-27, 10:29. Edited 1 time in total.