VOGONS

Reply 20 of 30, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shevalier wrote on 2023-09-28, 06:32:
In fact, Audigy 2 Value will definitely not be detected with dried capacitors across from 1117 LDO , which are indicated in my f […]
Show full quote
giantclam wrote on 2023-09-28, 05:40:

and if it's not there, 'scope what's happening on the pci control pins at initialization time ...

In fact, Audigy 2 Value will definitely not be detected with dried capacitors across from 1117 LDO , which are indicated in my first post.
1.8V - power supply for E-MU DSP and 3.3V - power supply for i/o of card, including EEPROM.
This is a typical malfunction with significant statistics of Audigy sound cards. Just like the drying out of the largest capacitor on PCI X-Fi (Not PСI-e, it's a different circuitry), with exactly the same symptoms.

The second typical malfunction of Creative sound cards is erasing the first byte of the EEPROM, then the E-MU processor is visible in the device manager, but the drivers are not installed.

These are statistically typical malfunctions that you don’t need a $100k LeCroy WaveRunner to diagnose

I've an SB0460 PCI X-Fi that I bought as part of a lot of parts that isn't detected when installed in any of several motherboards I've tried, so this caught my attention. Can you direct me to any further reading on this?

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 21 of 30, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Repo Man11 wrote on 2023-09-28, 23:53:
In fact, Audigy 2 Value will definitely not be detected with dried capacitors across from 1117 LDO , which are indicated in my f […]
Show full quote
giantclam wrote on 2023-09-28, 05:40:

and if it's not there, 'scope what's happening on the pci control pins at initialization time ...

In fact, Audigy 2 Value will definitely not be detected with dried capacitors across from 1117 LDO , which are indicated in my first post.
1.8V - power supply for E-MU DSP and 3.3V - power supply for i/o of card, including EEPROM.
This is a typical malfunction with significant statistics of Audigy sound cards. Just like the drying out of the largest capacitor on PCI X-Fi (Not PСI-e, it's a different circuitry), with exactly the same symptoms.

The second typical malfunction of Creative sound cards is erasing the first byte of the EEPROM, then the E-MU processor is visible in the device manager, but the drivers are not installed.

These are statistically typical malfunctions that you don’t need a $100k LeCroy WaveRunner to diagnose

I've an SB0460 PCI X-Fi that I bought as part of a lot of parts that isn't detected when installed in any of several motherboards I've tried, so this caught my attention. Can you direct me to any further reading on this?

I'm assuming that this is what was being referred to - https://theparanoidtroll.com/2014/01/18/creat … latinum-repair/

Reply 22 of 30, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
VivienM wrote on 2023-09-29, 02:32:

I'm assuming that this is what was being referred to - https://theparanoidtroll.com/2014/01/18/creat … latinum-repair/

I've seen uglier designs, but overall it's true
2267792.jpg
A 2.5-6.3V polymer capacitor of 560~1000 uF of the appropriate diameter and distance between the legs is placed in this place, which was removed from any motherboard of the last 10 years of production.

VivienM wrote on 2023-09-28, 22:09:

I really need to learn some soldering skills, don't I?

Networking?

Last edited by shevalier on 2023-09-29, 04:13. Edited 1 time in total.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 23 of 30, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Can you direct me to any further reading on this?

Troubleshooting Analog Circuits (EDN Series for Design Engineers) 1st Edition
by Robert Pease

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300

Reply 24 of 30, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VivienM wrote on 2023-09-29, 02:32:
Show full quote

Thanks for that. Mine didn't have the telltale bulge, but I found a dead video card in my junk box that had a 16 volt, 470 microfarad capacitor, so I replaced it. Windows XP now detects the card and installs the driver, but then I get a Code 10.

Reply 25 of 30, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So... I received the motherboard for my 98SE build yesterday. Figured I would try this Audigy 2 ZS before completely giving up on it... and... well, something very weird happened. When I put it into the PCI slots, the system... basically turned on, fans, drives, etc. No POST.

I'm guessing this Audigy 2 ZS is shorting in all kinds of ways I sure wouldn't know how to fix...

Reply 26 of 30, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
VivienM wrote on 2023-10-21, 22:44:

So... I received the motherboard for my 98SE build yesterday. Figured I would try this Audigy 2 ZS before completely giving up on it... and... well, something very weird happened. When I put it into the PCI slots, the system... basically turned on, fans, drives, etc. No POST.

I'm guessing this Audigy 2 ZS is shorting in all kinds of ways I sure wouldn't know how to fix...

When I tried the X Fi in a couple of systems before I replaced the capacitor, it caused all sorts of weirdness. In one system, I tried it, it didn't work, I pulled it out, then I was going to use the USB drive to install a driver, but it wasn't showing up in My Computer? I removed it and reinserted it, but nothing changed. I rebooted and checked the CMOS settings, and the USB was now set to Disabled? So I set it back to Enabled, and everything was back to normal. Some sort of voltage protection was tripped I guess?

This weirdness no longer happens since I replaced that capacitor, but I'm afraid that the soundcard's chip was damaged by the failing cap.

Reply 27 of 30, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Good repairs include:
- replacement of all capacitors that filter the incoming voltage from the PCI bus connector. There are large currents that spread across the motherboard. Including two large +/-12V “analog” power capacitors, located after the 2.2 Ohm resistors in front of the 78/7905 regulators.
- replacement of capacitors after LDO 1117 3.3V. This powers the PCI I/O bus and the SDRAM chip. Well, and the digital part of the ADC/DAC.
- replacement of all capacitors related to the digital power supply on the board. Detected with a multimeter.
Some polymer 10uF*10V for 1-5V will be more than enough.
Then and only then can we draw conclusions about some "I'm afraid that the soundcard's chip was damaged by the failing cap."

Reply 28 of 30, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bought another Audigy 2 ZS. This one, at least, lets the system POST and made it all the way to Windows (XP temporarily). Now I just need a driver CD... why is this image taking so long to download...

Reply 29 of 30, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shevalier wrote on 2023-10-22, 06:47:
Good repairs include: - replacement of all capacitors that filter the incoming voltage from the PCI bus connector. There are lar […]
Show full quote

Good repairs include:
- replacement of all capacitors that filter the incoming voltage from the PCI bus connector. There are large currents that spread across the motherboard. Including two large +/-12V “analog” power capacitors, located after the 2.2 Ohm resistors in front of the 78/7905 regulators.
- replacement of capacitors after LDO 1117 3.3V. This powers the PCI I/O bus and the SDRAM chip. Well, and the digital part of the ADC/DAC.
- replacement of all capacitors related to the digital power supply on the board. Detected with a multimeter.
Some polymer 10uF*10V for 1-5V will be more than enough.
Then and only then can we draw conclusions about some "I'm afraid that the soundcard's chip was damaged by the failing cap."

I appreciate the advice.