VOGONS

First post, by kcils

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys. Really scratching my head over this one, I ordered an X-Fi XtremeMusic package off eBay (SB0460 + SB0250), to use the I/O for optical audio input and also the MIDI in/out ports (which I made custom mini-MIDI to MIDI adapters for).
However, I can't seem to get ANY functionality on the front I/O panel besides passthrough audio from the optical input. I tried a few different driver packages, to no avail with this I/O drive. The I/O drive is connected to the X-Fi card, it is being powered. Is there something I'm missing? Anyone have an SB0250 that's fully functional on their XP machine?

Reply 1 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kcils wrote on 2023-09-30, 01:38:

Hi guys. Really scratching my head over this one, I ordered an X-Fi XtremeMusic package off eBay (SB0460 + SB0250), to use the I/O for optical audio input and also the MIDI in/out ports (which I made custom mini-MIDI to MIDI adapters for).
However, I can't seem to get ANY functionality on the front I/O panel besides passthrough audio from the optical input. I tried a few different driver packages, to no avail with this I/O drive. The I/O drive is connected to the X-Fi card, it is being powered. Is there something I'm missing? Anyone have an SB0250 that's fully functional on their XP machine?

I have several such I/O drives and they all work (or did when tested). I did some testing under Windows XP a while back and it worked on that OS as well .

Make sure that you are using a 40-pin AND 40-conductor IDC cable, not an 80-conductor one to connect the SB0460 and SB0250. Try a different cable, just in case .
I once had a an SB0460 that failed in such a way that the I/O drive was no longer detected . AFAICR, that SB0460 other wise worked fine .

Reply 2 of 10, by kcils

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2023-09-30, 03:03:
I have several such I/O drives and they all work (or did when tested). I did some testing under Windows XP a while back and it w […]
Show full quote

I have several such I/O drives and they all work (or did when tested). I did some testing under Windows XP a while back and it worked on that OS as well .

Make sure that you are using a 40-pin AND 40-conductor IDC cable, not an 80-conductor one to connect the SB0460 and SB0250. Try a different cable, just in case .
I once had a an SB0460 that failed in such a way that the I/O drive was no longer detected . AFAICR, that SB0460 other wise worked fine .

I just had a check, and yeah, the cable that shipped with this is NOT the AD_EXT cable that originally came with the unit. So, if I had to guess.. probably the cable is the issue. How can I tell if it's 40-pin 40-conductor, and not 80-conductor? I tried two other cables I have laying around, they didn't work either. I assume since I can actually passthrough and listen to the optical in from the I/O, that the SB0460 isn't failing in the way you mentioned. But who knows?
IIRC, this I/O drive should show up in Device Manager if detected, correct? You don't need the original AD_EXT cable?

Reply 3 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kcils wrote on 2023-09-30, 03:27:
I have several such I/O drives and they all work (or did when tested). I did some testing under Windows XP a while back and it w […]
Show full quote

I just had a check, and yeah, the cable that shipped with this is NOT the AD_EXT cable that originally came with the unit. So, if I had to guess.. probably the cable is the issue. How can I tell if it's 40-pin 40-conductor, and not 80-conductor? I tried two other cables I have laying around, they didn't work either. I assume since I can actually passthrough and listen to the optical in from the I/O, that the SB0460 isn't failing in the way you mentioned. But who knows?
IIRC, this I/O drive should show up in Device Manager if detected, correct? You don't need the original AD_EXT cable?

A standard 40-pin (and 40-conductor) IDE cable is what I use instead of the AD_EXT cable.

The I/O drive will not show up in device manager, AFAICR .

Reply 4 of 10, by kcils

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2023-09-30, 04:32:

A standard 40-pin (and 40-conductor) IDE cable is what I use instead of the AD_EXT cable.

Apologies but I'm not familiar with the technical terminology, how can I know a 40-pin, 40-conductor IDE cable from an 80-conductor one?
Also, do your drivers directly reference ports on the front I/O at all? I can't find anything in the Creative Console that directly references AUX IN 2, midi in/out, the optical audio ports, etc... It's very confusing. Perhaps there is custom drivers?

Reply 5 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kcils wrote on 2023-09-30, 04:41:

Apologies but I'm not familiar with the technical terminology, how can I know a 40-pin, 40-conductor IDE cable from an 80-conductor one?
Also, do your drivers directly reference ports on the front I/O at all? I can't find anything in the Creative Console that directly references AUX IN 2, midi in/out, the optical audio ports, etc... It's very confusing. Perhaps there is custom drivers?

No need to apologize. That is a very legitimate question.

This should help http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/howto_con … ect_ide_hd.html EDIT: https://web.archive.org/web/20210325002923/ht … ect_ide_hd.html

AFAICR, stock drivers worked fine. I should be able to retry Windows XP and the X-FI through the magic of PCI passthrough, but I need to replace a motherboard first (very long story regarding arguably brain-dead IOMMU grouping) and I have lots of other things on my todo list .

EDIT: Seems to work fine in an XP VM through a PLX bridge . Using Daniel_k modded drivers

Last edited by darry on 2023-12-12, 01:15. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 6 of 10, by kcils

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2023-09-30, 04:55:
No need to apologize. That is a very legitimate question. […]
Show full quote
kcils wrote on 2023-09-30, 04:41:

No need to apologize. That is a very legitimate question.

This should help http://www.mikeshardware.com/howtos/howto_con … ect_ide_hd.html

AFAICR, stock drivers worked fine. I should be able to retry Windows XP and the X-FI through the magic of PCI passthrough, but I need to replace a motherboard first (very long story regarding arguably brain-dead IOMMU grouping) and I have lots of other things on my todo list .

Yes, looks like it's an 80-wire connected up. I don't have a long enough 40-wire one on hand unfortunately with the drive installed, but I DID test with the 40-wire one I do have while the I/O was outside the case. I also didn't get anything apart from the passed-thru audio from the optical in.
I also just checked the Line In 2 1/4" jack with my bass guitar, and the headphones 1/4" jack, those don't work at all either. WTF! This thing is busting my balls.
If you ever get around to testing, let me know, I've combed through every SB0250 post on the internet that I can find, and none mention getting most of these ports to work at all. It's a wonder that there weren't more people complaining about problems with this back then.

Reply 7 of 10, by kcils

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, @darry, I ended up trying EVERY cable in the house in a troubleshooting frenzy... and it seems that ONE of them actually works!! All functionality is working, including the mini-midi to midi adapters I made. Though, it's my shortest cable. I just went ahead and put the I/O in the lowest drive bay and it's just barely enough space.
I'd like to get a long one, to route underneath the motherboard, but seeing as 90% of my 40-conductor cables that all look the same don't work right, I'm kind of at a loss where to look, l0l.

Reply 8 of 10, by kcils

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update, I got an 18" 40-wire 40-pin ide cable from the back of my local computer shop. Guy gave me a few of them for free. These work with the XFI I/O as well perfectly fine! Also perfect length to fold and route underneath the motherboard.
I wonder why most of my 40-wires I had weren't working. Maybe the cables themselves were damaged or something.

Reply 9 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kcils wrote on 2023-10-04, 10:11:

Update, I got an 18" 40-wire 40-pin ide cable from the back of my local computer shop. Guy gave me a few of them for free. These work with the XFI I/O as well perfectly fine! Also perfect length to fold and route underneath the motherboard.
I wonder why most of my 40-wires I had weren't working. Maybe the cables themselves were damaged or something.

Glad you got it working.

I have stocked up on both kinds of cables (80 and 40 conductors). They don't take a lot of space (a plastic "shoebox" full) and they are not going to get easier to find. I believe the cable stock for the 80 conductor ones is no longer being manufactured, by the way.

Reply 10 of 10, by kcils

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
darry wrote on 2023-10-04, 20:56:
kcils wrote on 2023-10-04, 10:11:

Glad you got it working.

I have stocked up on both kinds of cables (80 and 40 conductors). They don't take a lot of space (a plastic "shoebox" full) and they are not going to get easier to find. I believe the cable stock for the 80 conductor ones is no longer being manufactured, by the way.

Yeah, me and the guy who gave me those IDE cables were talking, he said his coworkers basically threw all of the ones they had out besides a little stash, and that hardly anyone buys or brings them in for recycling even, anymore. I think he said one person every 4 months asks about IDE cables, if that, and that I was the 2nd this year. You're definitely right