VOGONS

First post, by oldgames79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I use this daughterboard in DOS but all game doesn't initailize the card. Games crash or run slowly.
But I have 1 game work perfectly with this card. It is Rise of the triad, I have no problem with this game and strangly think when I run a other game after quitting ROTT all game work now perfectly.
ROTT initialize the daughterboard for all others games ?????

Why this card doesn't initialize caoorectly.

The sound card is a Sound Blaster 16 SCSI + XR385

THX

Reply 1 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This isn't a problem of the MIDI board, since it is very much a write-only device and thus cannot influence state of what it is connected to. Whatever causes the crashes relates to the SB16 itself or something else that isn't getting along with it. Running ROTT fixing things suggests that perhaps what you use to initialize the SB16 now is not quite appropriate for the card or needs some change in its configuration. What do you have in your AUTOEXEC.BAT (and CONFIG.SYS) ?

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 7, by oldgames79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2023-10-08, 23:37:

This isn't a problem of the MIDI board, since it is very much a write-only device and thus cannot influence state of what it is connected to. Whatever causes the crashes relates to the SB16 itself or something else that isn't getting along with it. Running ROTT fixing things suggests that perhaps what you use to initialize the SB16 now is not quite appropriate for the card or needs some change in its configuration. What do you have in your AUTOEXEC.BAT (and CONFIG.SYS) ?

I think that there is a conflict with scsi port

Attachments

Reply 3 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It doesn't look like anything is abnormal but I am no expect with SB16 things.
You can comment out various items (by writing "REM " in front of them) and see at what point things begin to behave, starting with the SCSI bits. Chances are you may need a different version of the DIAGNOSE+SB16SET utils.

Reply 5 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In that case I can only suspect bad capacitors, I see them leak on these WB cards sometimes and perhaps this state causes enough trouble on the power rails it begins to affect the host card in a funny way.

Reply 6 of 7, by oldgames79

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2023-10-17, 04:53:

In that case I can only suspect bad capacitors, I see them leak on these WB cards sometimes and perhaps this state causes enough trouble on the power rails it begins to affect the host card in a funny way.

I also believe that is a bad capacitor but all caps seems to be ok on sound card.

Reply 7 of 7, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Visually you often see no signs of problems, were you able to measure anything ? Quick test is also just heating a pin on each capacitor with soldering iron, when you can smell dead fish you have a winner 🤣