VOGONS

First post, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm currently trying to install both a Diamond Monster Sound and AWE64 Gold in a Windows 95 OSR2 build.

Stand-alone, both cards work fine. But when trying to install them together, I run into a couple issues.

If I install the SB Emulation for the Monster Sound, it conflicts with the AWE64. I can specifically juggle resources, except for the FM address 388. Windows 95 won't let me re-assign that. I do need to install SB emulation in order to get the MPU-401 emulation installed, which I want to be able to use the Monster Sound wavetable header with DOS games (in Win 95).

The second issue is upon startup, the Monster Sound tray application (FREECRTL.EXE) crashes if I have the AWE64 drivers installed. Strangely, if I re-run the FREECRTL application, it works. I tried disabling it on startup, but it still crashes when initially launched.

Short of setting up different hardware profiles for each card, is there any way of getting these two cards to work with no crashes and/or hardware conflicts?

On a related note, this card combination was featured in Computer Gaming World's February 1998 ultimate gaming system. So I'm assuming it should be workable, unless they never actually tested it themselves.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 1 of 6, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-10-16, 20:29:

If I install the SB Emulation for the Monster Sound, it conflicts with the AWE64. I can specifically juggle resources, except for the FM address 388. Windows 95 won't let me re-assign that.

You can disable port 388 on the AWE64 by selecting "Basic Configuration 0004" in Device Manager.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 6, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-10-16, 20:34:
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-10-16, 20:29:

If I install the SB Emulation for the Monster Sound, it conflicts with the AWE64. I can specifically juggle resources, except for the FM address 388. Windows 95 won't let me re-assign that.

You can disable port 388 on the AWE64 by selecting "Basic Configuration 0004" in Device Manager.

Thanks for the tip.

I ended up setting it Basic Config 0003 as that removed both the Port 388 and MPU-401 port (which I don't need on it).

After doing so and some manual tweaking of IRQ and address assignments, I managed to get all devices set up with no conflicts. Interestingly after setting the AWE64 device to configuration 0003, it detected another hardware device for MPU401 Emulation for the AWE64.

AWE64 Win 95 Configuration.jpg
Filename
AWE64 Win 95 Configuration.jpg
File size
149.85 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Sound Card Sys Properties.jpg
Filename
Sound Card Sys Properties.jpg
File size
213.46 KiB
Views
File license

Also managed to identify the issue with the crashing FREECTRL.EXE. Turns out that is a conflict with the AWE64 WaveSynth/WG software. Not installing that particular software solved that problem.

Freectrl Crash.jpg
Filename
Freectrl Crash.jpg
File size
359.04 KiB
Views
File license

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 3 of 6, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

After some more testing, it seems the only lingering issue is MIDI playback via the Diamond Monster Sound.

For whatever reason, it doesn't play back all MIDI channels. For example, playing Canyon.mid it won't play the percussion channel.

Testing with DOS games using its MPU-401 emulation, MIDI playback is just fine. So I know both the sound card and daughterboard work and are capable of proper playback.

The only real thing I wanted for in Windows directly was Final Fantasy VII's XG support since I'm using a Yamaha daughterboard. I suppose I'll have to install FF VII and see if that works.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 4 of 6, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-10-17, 19:16:

The only real thing I wanted for in Windows directly was Final Fantasy VII's XG support since I'm using a Yamaha daughterboard. I suppose I'll have to install FF VII and see if that works.

If you have a spare YMF724 or YMF744 card, I can highly recommend one of those for Final Fantasy VII.

That game fully supports XG music with either of those cards and it sounds really nice. I have a sample recording from FF7 here and some other (unrelated) XG music tracks here in case you're curious.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5 of 6, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-10-17, 19:26:
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-10-17, 19:16:

If you have a spare YMF724 or YMF744 card, I can highly recommend one of those for Final Fantasy VII.

I do. I'll have use those in a different build though, since this particular one is intended to be a period correct 1997 build. 😁

I might try a YMF7x4 in a 1998 or 1999 setup.

That game fully supports XG music with either of those cards and it sounds really nice. I have a sample recording from FF7 here and some other (unrelated) XG music tracks here in case you're curious.

Btw, lovely recordings. I do really like the sound of Yamaha hardware. 😀

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 6 of 6, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Did some more testing with the Monster Sound and wavetables. With a different GM daughterboard attached, MIDI files play back correctly. But with the Yamaha DB50XG they do not. Canyon still lacks percussion and Passport.mid doesn't even initialize any instruments properly (most stay stuck on piano).

I wondering if maybe the instruments aren't initializing properly because of XG mode or something?

It's weird to me it works fine in DOS games. Descent in particular sounds awesome with the Yamaha samples. Not sure what's up with the Windows Media Player.

edited to add:

After some quick Googling, found this:

Why do MIDI files played through the DB50XG under Windows 95 sound odd?

Windows 3.1 has MidiMapper which allows the user to configure the midi environment, while Windows 95 does not have any such interface. The standard Windows 95 midi configuration follows the SoundBlaster 'error' and puts percussion on channel 16 instead of the general midi standard of channel 10. The upshot is that midi files played through the DB50XG (in common with other general midi cards) sound odd and do not do the card justice.

http://www.megatrade.ru/English/db50faq.html

Guess that explains the missing percussion in Canyon.mid, if the percussion channel isn't being mapped correctly.

Turns out the problem was Windows 95 the whole time... 😒

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build