VOGONS

First post, by kahuna

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

Just wanted to share a somewhat interesting behaviour I'm seeing running Prince of Persia.
What I'm using is a K6-III+ based machine with a Sound Blaster 64 AWE GOLD that I have connected to an MT32-Pi.
The Prince of Persia version I'm running is 1.3.

The thing is, if I run the game without disabling the cache of the CPU, the MT32 takes care of both music and sound effects.
However, when I disable the CPU cache and lower the CPU speed, I get the music from the MT32, but the sound effects come from the Sound Blaster directly.
The latter is actually the configuration I want, and that's what I have configured using 'setup.exe' 😀

I also tested with SoftMPU loaded, same results.

Not sure if it's just me...

Be free!

Reply 1 of 4, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It seems that the game is "speed sensitive" for what concerns the detection of the Sound Blaster, which is not something uncommon. Many old games have sound issues on faster systems.

Reply 2 of 4, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is one of the symptoms of speed-sensitive DOS software around where the computer is too fast for the Sound Blaster detection routine, it isn't just you.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS