VOGONS

First post, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm trying to set up an AWE32 (CT3900, non-PnP) in a DOS build (DOS 6.22).

I installed the drivers from the Vogons driver library (AWE32 Installation Disks DOS / Win 3.11). I configured the AWE32 jumper for the MPU-401 address to 300h, since I also want to have an SCC-1 in this setup using 330h.

If I attempt to use the AWE32 after a clean boot, I don't get any AWE32 music or FM playback. Digital audio works fine. I tested it with Doom 2, Duke 3D, Warcraft 2, and Commander Keen 4.

If I run the DIAGNOSE.EXE, everything is correctly detected and music plays back properly. Interestingly, after running through the DIAGNOSE.EXE tests, I can then play back music in the aforementioned games. It seems like whatever DIAGNOSE.EXE is doing is enabling the AWE32 music and FM playback.

This is my current CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT configs respectively:

DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTSB16.SYS /UNIT=0 /BLASTER=A:220 I:5 D:1 H:5
DEVICE=C:\SB16\DRV\CTMMSYS.SYS
SET BLASTER=A220 I5 D1 H5 P300 E620 T6
REM C:\UNISOUND\UNISOUND /CS
SET SOUND=C:\SB16
SET MIDI=SYNTH:1 MAP:E MODE:0
C:\SB16\DIAGNOSE /S
C:\SB16\AWEUTIL /S
C:\SB16\SB16SET /P /Q

I also tried UNISOUND, but for whatever reason it always initializes the MPU-401 port to 330h. It seems to ignore the AWE32 jumper setting and SET BLASTER variable.

I also had a problem when testing the UNISOUND driver where Doom 2 resulted in distorted noise when trying to play music. Haven't had a similar issue occur with Creative Lab's drivers.

Any suggestions? Are there potentially different versions of the DOS drivers I should try instead? Or some other workaround?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 1 of 4, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-10-19, 16:01:

Any suggestions? Are there potentially different versions of the DOS drivers I should try instead? Or some other workaround?

Try the drivers that I've attached below.

They are for the AWE64 and I got them from Creative's website a few years back, but I can't seem to find that page anymore. You probably won't need CTCMBBS.EXE since your AWE32 is a non-PNP card. On the other hand S64BASIC.EXE has worked for me with every AWE64 and Vibra card that I have. IIRC, it also has the latest version of AWEUTIL.COM which might be relevant for some of those cards.

Filename
S64BASIC.ZIP
File size
1.14 MiB
Downloads
31 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
Filename
CTCMBBS.ZIP
File size
671.02 KiB
Downloads
26 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 4, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-10-19, 16:12:
Try the drivers that I've attached below. […]
Show full quote
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-10-19, 16:01:

Try the drivers that I've attached below.

They are for the AWE64 and I got them from Creative's website a few years back, but I can't seem to find that page anymore. You probably won't need CTCMBBS.EXE since your AWE32 is a non-PNP card. On the other hand S64BASIC.EXE has worked for me with every AWE64 and Vibra card that I have. IIRC, it also has the latest version of AWEUTIL.COM which might be relevant for some of those cards.

S64BASIC.ZIP
CTCMBBS.ZIP

Thank you, the SB64 Basic drivers worked!

Interestingly I did run into an issue with Doom 2. If I run other games first, Doom 2's music plays back as distorted noise (same issue I noticed when testing the UNISOUND driver).

If I do a clean boot, Doom 2's audio is perfect. However, if I run games subsequent to Doom 2, those game's audio is either distorted or won't play.

It seems like Doom 2's audio engine is doing something to the AWE32 that it doesn't like when then trying to play something else.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 3 of 4, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-10-19, 19:26:

If I do a clean boot, Doom 2's audio is perfect. However, if I run games subsequent to Doom 2, those game's audio is either distorted or won't play.

I assume your Doom 2 is fully patched? I always use the GOG version to ensure this.

It seems like Doom 2's audio engine is doing something to the AWE32 that it doesn't like when then trying to play something else.

Yeah, I've had this happen a couple of times, though I don't remember it being an issue with Doom 2 specifically. For that reason, I usually do a reboot before switching between DOS games. Re-running AWEUTIL /S might clear that up too.

P.S.

I think S64BASIC.EXE might be missing one or two of the default soundfonts that are normally included with AWE cards, probably SYNTHMT.SBK. You can grab all of those from Phil's website.

Also, note that SBBASIC.EXE that Phil hosts there is not the same as S64BASIC.EXE that I uploaded. Phil's version doesn't have AWEUTIL.COM and some other stuff.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 4 of 4, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2023-10-19, 20:04:

I assume your Doom 2 is fully patched? I always use the GOG version to ensure this.

Yeah, I've had this happen a couple of times, though I don't remember it being an issue with Doom 2 specifically. For that reason, I usually do a reboot before switching between DOS games. Re-running AWEUTIL /S might clear that up too.

Yeah, it's fully patched. I think it's also the GOG version I'm using.

Did a bunch more testing with a variety of games and only Doom 2 seems to trigger this issue. Running AWEUTIL /S to re-init the card does fix things, so I made a batch file to run it whenever I need to.

I think S64BASIC.EXE might be missing one or two of the default soundfonts that are normally included with AWE cards, probably SYNTHMT.SBK. You can grab all of those from Phil's website.

Also, note that SBBASIC.EXE that Phil hosts there is not the same as S64BASIC.EXE that I uploaded. Phil's version doesn't have AWEUTIL.COM and some other stuff.

Good to know, thanks!

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build