VOGONS

First post, by DeathRabbit679

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I hate to be like the umpteenth million person posting about this card this month, but I couldn't find anyone talking about this issue in particular at least in something that wasn't too old for justifiable necromancy. I've got the labway a151-a00 variety, and it works super(as in really shames creative cards) except I just have really low line-in volume in DOS games. Either win95 dos prompt or full ms-dos mode, either way the line-in is super quiet when I'm doing the midi module to line-in thing. Even if the module is hooked to another card. However, doing stuff that's win 95 native, like playing midis using the built in media player or playing windows games, the line-in level is appropriate compared with the volume of everything else. It's really strange, and I'm guessing it must just be something that happens to wig it out whenever the card goes into sb pro mode. Before I go assuming it's hardware and ordering another card, I'd be curious if anyone has any thoughts.

Edit: I did confirm it's something to do with sound blaster compatible mode, if I nuke the sound settings in dn3d setup, the line in sounds fine in the music test. If I turn sound back on, still fine. I play the bowling pins, all of a sudden the music coming thru the line in is a whisper.

Reply 1 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can try SETYMF to see if it makes a difference if SETUPSA isn't wanting to cooperate. YMF71x has two mixers, WSS and SB and will choose between them automatically depending on which side of the card was used last and it seems this is what you are observing too.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 4, by DeathRabbit679

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just to update, nothing I did seemed to work, including setymf, so I finally just took some 1/4 patch cables and ran my midi stuff to the speakers a different way, bypassing the loop back into line-in. I do have another card that's almost identical (just missing the ide) coming in the post, so it will be interesting to see if it also aggressively limits line-in when the sb mixer takes over. If i learn anything interesting, I'll update this thread again, so the next poor soul googling may learn from my trials. setymf is cool, thanks for the software, Tiido!

Reply 4 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That sounds very strange, perhaps the chip has some actual damage to it... I'm curious about how the other card will behave. If both WSS and SB side behaved same way I would say bad capacitors but when one side works just fine I am left to wonder 🤣

You're welcome 🤣

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜