VOGONS

First post, by djkoelkast

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got a few boxes full of old hardware. A lot of network cards, but also quite some very nice old sound cards.
But this one I can't ID. I have found some Russian forum, but no real answer there. I have also found someone calling it a Yamaha PS-YM-01 (so I wrote that on the back) but I can't find anything about that either.
Then I found someone selling a very close look alike of this card with a box that says Elephant Power Sound Card.

But if I want to use it I should have drivers, and I don't know what to look for.
The synth chip is a Yamaha YMF719-S
The date sticker says 1997. Other chips include: Ti 79AE7EM, To 74AF6RM, Atmel 730 (EEPROM), UTC TEA2025 (stereo audio amplifier).

Any help is welcome

Attachments

Reply 1 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It is one of the many noname YMF71x based sound cards, also one of the inferior types since it is missing 24.576MHz crystal. The result is that 16, 32 and 48KHz family of sample rates is not going to work right (much higher pitch, because of use of 33.8688MHz in place of 24.576MHz)

You can use Yamaha's original OPL3-SAx drivers with it or my SETYMF for getting most out of this card in pure DOS.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 3, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This is a cost cutting measure, the YMF71x chipset is made to work with 33.8688MHz clock for 44100Hz based sample rates and all other main functions, + 24.576MHz for 48kHz based sample rates but the cheap cards only use 33MHz and connect it to 24MHz crystal input. The card will work, it saves cost but there are problems that may not come to light.

PAS problem is something else entirely compared to this one. This particular card uses -12V for some stuff in its analog section, as do most sound cards.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜