VOGONS

First post, by pitchshifter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello to all community,

I have this issue that keeps following me in the two 386 builds i made. Short saying after a few time, i dont have any sound from my soundcard.
My first build had an Auva 803(4)86 TAM33/40, CPM25/33, CAM33/50 mobo, with dx40, 8mb, 5420 cirrus or OTI087, and es1868 or als100.
My second had a M396F 2.7 mobo with sx40, 4mb, OTI087 ( isa didnt like the cirrus) and es1868. In both rigs, at first i had a nice sound blaster sound, but after a few time playing its just dead. The sound cards are detected, the game port is working. Everythink is ok but with no sound.. My speakers are the Roland MA-8.

Im using Phil`s Dos Boot disk, but i also tried to install fresh dos 5.0 with the usual drivers.

Anyone had a similar problem?

Best regards.

Reply 1 of 13, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Did you test the es1868 and als100 in some other build?
If they don't make any sound there too then it's your speakers killing the output drivers of the cards when the ground connection between PC and speakers is disrupted for any reason (bad contact in audio jack, broken audio cable).

Reply 2 of 13, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you saying that after a few sessions there is no sound after boot from cold on first game you try? Or are you saying that in a single gaming session when exiting to DOS from several games, the sound stops working, with no reboot in between?

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 13, by pitchshifter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, both cards were tested and are working, and i really dont know if i made somekind of reboot in between... I only know that i can install fresh dos and the problema Will persist.. Im really out of ideias here..

Reply 4 of 13, by pitchshifter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone got any ideas? i don't think the problem is in the MA-8, i tested with some Teac Powermax with the same results... i also tried another audio jack.
What i realize is that the fresh builds only work for a while and stop working even if i format and install new software... It happened in both builds..

Reply 5 of 13, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

an idea... if those are old cards, they might have coupling capacitors on the outputs which dried out.
Post a photo of each card.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 6 of 13, by vstrakh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pitchshifter wrote on 2023-11-13, 12:16:

i tested with some Teac Powermax with the same results...

Same results is "no sound at all"? Temporarily working sound?

Reply 8 of 13, by pitchshifter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vstrakh wrote on 2023-11-14, 08:10:
pitchshifter wrote on 2023-11-13, 12:16:

i tested with some Teac Powermax with the same results...

Same results is "no sound at all"? Temporarily working sound?

I didn't try those in a fresh build, already when i had no sound in these builds. I just though the MA asked for more power, but i guess not.

Reply 9 of 13, by pitchshifter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
weedeewee wrote on 2023-11-13, 16:23:

an idea... if those are old cards, they might have coupling capacitors on the outputs which dried out.

Unfortunately, the Aztech isn't detected at all, she was the chosen one at first, but i think she's dead...
And the ET4000 also, but it has bad video, but thats for another topic. 😀

Attachments

Reply 10 of 13, by pitchshifter

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2023-11-14, 13:10:

What power supply are you using? Some sound cards require a negative voltage rail. I'm not saying it's exactly your issue but it's worth investigating.

A usual AT, but i noticed with the multimeter that i have around -8 or 8 in the -12 / +12.
Could be it? i didnt give importance because i saw somewhere that -12 and 12v, were used in com/lpt ports..

Reply 11 of 13, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pitchshifter wrote on 2023-11-15, 14:18:
weedeewee wrote on 2023-11-13, 16:23:

Unfortunately, the Aztech isn't detected at all, she was the chosen one at first, but i think she's dead...
And the ET4000 also, but it has bad video, but thats for another topic. 😀

Since this was about the sound cards. all three seem to have coupling capacitors to the output jack.

and yes, 12V power supply tends to be used for the amplifier stage. Sometimes directly, sometimes with the addition of an extra voltage regulator like on the Avance Logic and Aztech card. 78 05
I think the Ess card also has a voltage regulator though different package. to92

So yes, your problem could very well be your power supply not delivering the required 12V.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port