VOGONS

First post, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I recently picked up an IBM SFF Thinkcentre (P4) that I'm enjoying restoring. From what I've seen of old writeups and YouTube videos these machines (model 8171) came from the factory with an IDE DVD drive, but SATA hard drive. So I was a little surprised there is no CD audio header on the motherboard. I guess this was already the era of digital CD audio, even over IDE? But it feels like would be cool to have the option of working CD Audio for games that use it in DOS etc (using SBEMU).

Looking closely at the motherboard, there is an unpopulated set of solder blobs at 4 pin spacing, very close to the rest of the audio circuitry. (JP14?)

IMG20231111083804.jpg
Filename
IMG20231111083804.jpg
File size
1.44 MiB
Views
File comment
IBM 8171 motherboard
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I have to replace some leaking caps on this motherboard anyway, so could I just solder on some Arduino style pin headers here?

Or are there likely to be other unpopulated components that would be necessary? Looking closely the two outer pins seem to be connected via the unpopulated C71. There are a lot of other empty solder pads round here too ...

Or maybe I've got it wrong and this isn't CD audio at all?

I guess I could fit a PCI sound card in the riser, but I was planning to use the PCI slot for a GeForce FX 5500 (for better Win98 compatibility). So I'd need to find a 1x PCIe graphics card to use the 32-bit PCI for sound ...

Thoughts gratefully appreciated!

Reply 2 of 4, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It doesn't look like those 4 pins are for CD header, they go to an empty EEPROM footprint but with some modding it can be possible to repurpose it for CD audio but one will have to figure out how things are working currently and then device any required changes.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 4, by giantclam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thinking about it some more, they possibly dropped analog CD_IN for DMA audio, so even if the old analog path is there (with no-stuff), good chance you'll have no access to any analog CD_IN mixer element to control volume.

Reply 4 of 4, by justin1985

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the comments - this all makes sense.

Unfortunately it seems that even though the chip is officially supported with Win98 drivers, including from Lenovo for this specific machine, I simply can't get the drivers to work in Win98. So not much point worrying about CD-audio in any case if it is going to be WinXP only, I guess!