VOGONS

First post, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Motherboard: ASUS P2B (PCB1.12)
CPU: Slocket1 P3 800Mhz
GPU: Voodoo 5 5500 AGP

My small issue is: I have no idea which sound card to put into this build.

Tested so far:
Yamaha YMF754 with SBLink - mobo doesn't see card
Yamaha YMF744 with SBLink - mobo detects, puts IRQ5 but silent and Win98 doesn't see sound device even being detected in device manager (no sound icon in task bar)
ESS Solo-1 - mobo doesn't see card
ESS1868F - problem with DOS part of win98
ESS1869 - problem with DOS part of win98
Aztech MMSN853 (any MMSN as I have 4 of those) - problem with DOS and win98
Sound Blaster Live! CT4760 - candidate to use
Sound Blaster AWE64 CT4520 - candidate to use
Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - candidate to use
Aureal Vortex 2 (green PCB) - works in DOS and win98, card is actually in PCI slot

I planned to use CT3990 but this card is way too long for case. xD
Any advices welcome, I regret I don't have any free Audigy 2 ZS (I have two, one in P4 3.0GHz bulid and second in P3 1.4GHz build as both mobos don't have ISA ports).

Reply 1 of 17, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOS cards with Voodoo 5 is a waste of potential. Go for Vortex 2 or Live.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 17, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Aureal Vortex 2 for sure, supporting A3D 2.0 which provides a nice "3D sound" experience. The alternative would be the SBLive! 5.1 SB0100 but its support for DOS is mediocre.

The AWE64 can be optionally added as a secondary sound card for better DOS compatibility.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 17, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

But how come, some (all listed are fully working) cards were just 'skipped' by motherboard? PCI slot giving not enough power? And I think I'll stay with AV2 but isn't CT4760 better even if I'd have to fight with drivers or even reinstalling Win98SE? Does this SoundBlaster have EAX? I got it 'damaged' for free and turned on card looks like new and fully working.

Reply 4 of 17, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Both SBLive! sound cards support EAX 2.0 but the SB0100 variant allows you to use a 5.1 surround speaker system.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 5 of 17, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You put a 500 Euro graphics card in a computer and dont want to get another known working 15 euro audigy / x-fi card (even platinum models with the cool frontpanel are "just" like 60 euros) ?
That is an interesting choice to even concider a Aztech or ess card instead of something you really want in a computer with such an iconic graphics card.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 6 of 17, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Aureal Vortex 2 based cards are my favorite for Windows 98 for their 3D sound support.

If you are playing games that support A3D, this is the card I would use.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 7 of 17, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok but as I mentioned, I have SB0100 and CT4760, just I wonder if to replace AV2 as it works? A3D and EAX are cool (I am only aware it works in Half Life) and I know no ISA card support these and I have two Audigy 2 ZSes just in different builds, I wanted to use what I have instead of buying new one but if it's 'da wae' then I'll consider getting one, and hassle with VXD DOS drivers again. 😁

Reply 8 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

for me it's a no brainer to sb0100 - 2000 card for a 2000 system and a lot of the '3dfx' titles at this time also sported EAX support. You'd lose some dos support and duke3d/sw/blood would crash in some areas, but that wasn't a concern for the time of Y2K 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 9 of 17, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Honestly I never had that much of a need for 'year accuracy' parts. 😉 However, SB0100 was common but not a beast of sound card, right? Also I have SB0200 but this one hates drivers sadly (OEM thing I guess). But I guess it's, now, AV2 vs CT4760 as A3D VS EAX 'with' DOS support or I'll get mad (and frick WDM drivers with CDDA emulation) and I'll buy another Audigy 2 ZS but which one if I will? 😀

Reply 10 of 17, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
haker120 wrote on 2023-11-15, 16:29:

Ok but as I mentioned, I have SB0100 and CT4760, just I wonder if to replace AV2 as it works? A3D and EAX are cool (I am only aware it works in Half Life) and I know no ISA card support these and I have two Audigy 2 ZSes just in different builds, I wanted to use what I have instead of buying new one but if it's 'da wae' then I'll consider getting one, and hassle with VXD DOS drivers again. 😁

Yet another reason to just use native DOS instead of messing around with Windows DOS windows.

In fact, just keep builds separate. Make this a no compromise Voodoo5 Win98SE system with positional 3D audio (A3D and/or EAX - you can do both Aureal2 and SBLive and use whatever works best in $game). You have a different topic about a DOS build with Aztech card. That's a great pairing too and your problems there are also because you don't do (trouble-free) native DOS but insist on doing stuff in Windows.

Reply 11 of 17, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

i'd avoid vortex hardware for the DX7+-related driver horror stories i've heard. If I wanted to scratch an A3D itch, there's those sensaura'd onboard on ~2002 mobos and laptops shortly after.

Also the SBLive!'s app disc has a lot of bloaty gimmick apps (you don't really need) to ring in the new millennium with. This is a very unintentional period build you're making 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 12 of 17, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Probably the vortex just for fun. I had an a3d card when they were still around and never really cared for it that much at the time but it’s cool just because it’s different. It’s a fun interesting thing to add to a system like that, even if it has flaws. It spices things up a little.

Reply 13 of 17, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I mess with those because I have some great DOS machines with hassle free ISA cards and stuff, these I have problems with are, for me, too fast for pure DOS so I mess with Win98 plus DOS mode. 😀 Aaaand Audigy 2 ZS SB0350 on the way. Or maybe X-Fi card? 🤣

Reply 14 of 17, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't worry much about the statement that running DOS games within Windows 9x isn't good, most of them runs ok and there are some advantages that one can't get with pure DOS. Creating PIF shortcuts with different memory settings helps.

As for PIII-800 being too fast for DOS, the ASUS P2B rev 1.12 has the ICS9248DF-39 clock generator which unofficially works with RayerR's SMB to switch the FSB on the fly. I have a cheat sheet that will help you. I also suggest finding utilities to deal with the "Runtime Error 200" message caused by executables compiled with Borland Pascal.

Reply 15 of 17, by haker120

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Gmlb256 I have patched BIOS, otherwise Slocket1 with P3 inside wouldn't work and for some reason BIOS doesn't start without keyboard in ps/2 slot. I guess official one loads because with P2 500Mhz everything is ok, with or without keyboard present. And for games I use this build I had no issues, mostly Glide titles and more friendly DOS games like Duke 3D or DOOM1/2. 😀 And I'll get Audigy 2 ZS but I guess I'll stay with AV2 as I have no build with A3D and somehow it doesn't have a problem with EAX (or I'm wrong xD).

Reply 16 of 17, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-11-16, 17:13:

Don't worry much about the statement that running DOS games within Windows 9x isn't good, most of them runs ok and there are some advantages that one can't get with pure DOS. Creating PIF shortcuts with different memory settings helps.

Not saying it isn't good, but am saying it's a load of (unnecessary) hassle around VXD vs WDM in some cases, which OP is running into here.

Reply 17 of 17, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
The Serpent Rider wrote on 2023-11-15, 13:11:

DOS cards with Voodoo 5 is a waste of potential. Go for Vortex 2 or Live.

Vortex 2 and Live?

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder