VOGONS

First post, by Simmerhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After years of searching I've finally managed to score a Roland MT-32 (Mk. I) from 1988. It's to be used in my main DOS gaming PC, based around a Pentium 75 and Sound Blaster 16 (dreaming of an AWE32 which I used to own 30 years ago).

I've got a Roland MPU-401 with original cable and connectors, but am missing the MIF-IPC-A interface card. So what should I do? As far as I've managed to find out I have three options:

1. Get an Orpheus II sound card and trash the MPU-401 unit
2. Get the PCMIDI which is a modern version of the MIF-IPC-A card with some additional features, but lack the MPU-401 connector.
3. Get the Lo-tech MIF IPC B which is a brand new "clone" of the original MIF-IPC-A (https://texelec.com/product/lo-tech-mif-ipc-b/).

Any options I'm missing, and any thoughts and experiences from other MT-32 users?

Simmerhead - Old is gold!

Reply 1 of 6, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Since you already have an MPU-401, the Lo-tech MIF IPC B card would be the cheapest option.

Orpheus II is great if you want an all-in-one solution (SB Pro + GUS + MPU-401) and don't want to have the external MPU-401 box hooked up. Similarly, the PCMIDI card would also eliminate needing the external MPU-401.

It comes down to a cheaper option that uses the MPU-401 box, versus more expensive options that can do without.

And if you opted for the latter, you could sell off the MPU-401 hardware and easily afford to get the Orpheus II or PCMIDI and likely have cash left over.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 6, by florian3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The PicoGUS could be another option to look at since it has an intelligent mode MPU-401. I have not used it myself but it has many interesting features.

But PCMIDI and Orpheus are all rock-solid, can’t go wrong with those.

Reply 3 of 6, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Simmerhead wrote on 2023-11-24, 22:38:
After years of searching I've finally managed to score a Roland MT-32 (Mk. I) from 1988. It's to be used in my main DOS gaming P […]
Show full quote

After years of searching I've finally managed to score a Roland MT-32 (Mk. I) from 1988. It's to be used in my main DOS gaming PC, based around a Pentium 75 and Sound Blaster 16 (dreaming of an AWE32 which I used to own 30 years ago).

I've got a Roland MPU-401 with original cable and connectors, but am missing the MIF-IPC-A interface card. So what should I do? As far as I've managed to find out I have three options:

1. Get an Orpheus II sound card and trash the MPU-401 unit
2. Get the PCMIDI which is a modern version of the MIF-IPC-A card with some additional features, but lack the MPU-401 connector.
3. Get the Lo-tech MIF IPC B which is a brand new "clone" of the original MIF-IPC-A (https://texelec.com/product/lo-tech-mif-ipc-b/).

Any options I'm missing, and any thoughts and experiences from other MT-32 users?

Woah woah woah , I wouldn't throw a genuine MPU 401 into the trash they are getting harder to find and you might regret it.

Honestly if you have the real deal I would suggest to just get the Lo Tech MIF IPC B , I've got one wired up to my 401 and used it with dozens of games so I can vouch for it.

The other options are fine but you literally wont find anything better than a real MPU 401 which is what everything was specced for.
The compatibility is as bulletproof as it comes and everything works seamlessly with no TSRs needed or weird bugs cropping up.

Reply 4 of 6, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It is a no brainer to get the lotech MIF IPC card , you already have 90% of the mpu 😀

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 5 of 6, by mattw

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Simmerhead wrote on 2023-11-24, 22:38:

I've got a Roland MPU-401 with original cable and connectors

if you have that, then the only option to use it is 3), i.e. Lo-tech MIF IPC B. BTW, after you get the card and in case you want to help with this:

https://github.com/schlae/mpu-imc/issues/1

please, do this:

Re: Roland LAPC-N / I question

and report back. also, opening the top cover of your Roland MPU-401 and making pictures is very useful. thanks!

Reply 6 of 6, by Simmerhead

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks all. Much appreciated. I think I'll go for the clone card to get the most authentic experience. This stuff is getting old, fragile and rare, so it will probably regret not using it how it was originally intended.

Simmerhead - Old is gold!