VOGONS

First post, by Pino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I recently got this Yamaha YMF704-s OPL4 GM MIDI module and my understanding is that this is a proprietary module to be used on Intel's 440FX Portland motherboards equipped with YMF715 sound chips.

You can see on the motherboard's manual that this module was supposed to be connected to pins J7C1 and J7D1:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboard/manual/34194.pdf

I don't have one of this motherboards, and it's not a great motherboard anyway since it only supports Pentium II up to 266Mhz and has no AGP slot.

So my question is, and I know it's a long shot, would it possible to wire it somehow to a regular wavetable header on a ISA soundcard?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 2, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It needs 33.8688MHz (or popelate the onboard crystal and related bits), MIDI TX signal, reset and +5V with GND. It outputs LCRLK+BCLK+SDATA in RJ16 format for an external DAC (or one inside YMF71x chip). It is certainly not impossible to make it standalone but it requires an external DAC to actually produce analog output to use elsewhere. I do not know the pinout but it should be easy to figure out.
Nitpick : It contains an OPL4 but it isn't OPL4 but OPL4-ML. Distinction is that OPL4-ML is 1MByte sample ROM + CPU+ROM+RAM + OPL4 core in single chip. OPL4 on its own is like EMU8000 on AWE32, it needs something to actually feed all the parameters etc. to make it produce music output.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜