VOGONS

First post, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't know deeply the game Doom.
I read, for music Roland SC-55 is the best choice, i had this with mpu-401.
I had yamaha mu-50 too.
But what sound card give the best quality for sound fx?
Gravis ultrasound, or sound blaster, sound blaster pro/pro2, or sb16/awe32/awe64, maybe pro audio spectrum, ensoniq vivo?

My second question, for doom exist patch or mod to achieve better sound fx quality?

Thanks any helping word .

Reply 1 of 3, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

As of late, I've come to appreciate the softer low-pass filter of a SBPro card for Doom 1&2. You can listen to some samples recorded by James-F here. Certain SBPro compatible cards have this filter as well, such as the ESS AudioDrive 1868F and OPTi 82C930.

Another thing to check for is proper stereo orientation. Some SBPro compatible cards flip the stereo in Doom, so sounds that are supposed to come from your left speaker end up coming from your right one. Again, James-F did a thorough analysis on this and his results can be found here.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 3, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IIRC, Doom's samples are 8-bit 11KHz recordings. They're already quite limited from an audio quality perspective. Low-pass filtering used in some sound cards (per Joseph_Joestar's post) removes high frequencies in the audio source, which can remove some of the noise inherent to low quality samples.

For sound cards, earlier model sound cards tended to have noiser DACs and can be more prone to interference from the computer. Later model AWE32's, AWE64, etc., will sound cleaner in that respect.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards