VOGONS

First post, by Pino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Which one for a Windows XP system and why? Does it even make any difference? They both seems to be very equivalent spec wise.

- X-FI Titanium PCI-E 16MB of memory
- X-FI Fatality PCI 64MB of memory

Rest of the system is:
GA-EP45-UD3P (rev. 1.6)
Core 2 Quad Q9400
Quadro FX 3450 (Geforce 6800GS)

Also what is your opinion about using the X-FI Titanium on a modern Windows 11 system?
My system is a i9 12900 on a Asus Prime Z690-P with a RTX 3070 which uses the crapiest realtek codec possible, the ALC897

Thanks

Attachments

• XFI.jpg
    Filename
    XFI.jpg
    File size
    797.58 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 8, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Both sound cards support Windows XP just fine and the difference between the Fatal1ty PCI and the regular Titanium PCIe variants are fairly minor. The most important one is that the Fatal1ty has 64 MB RAM onboard for the X-RAM feature which very few titles supported it and was used to avoid storing non-streaming samples into the motherboard RAM.

As for using a SB X-Fi sound card in Windows 11, irrelevant to be honest. The advantages of audio hardware acceleration have diminished at this point and there are suitable alternatives to handle SF2 SoundFonts, HRTF and EAX. Onboard audio has matured and adding a dedicated sound card only makes sense if you want to improve the signal-to-noise ratio.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 2 of 8, by MadMac_5

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Either card will work pretty much equally well under Windows XP, aside from the X-RAM that not a lot of games used. In terms of using the PCI-E X-Fi on a modern system, my advice is to try it out and see if you like how it sounds better than your on-board audio. I have a Xonar DSX (slightly better audio quality than the X-Fi) that sounds a little bit different than my Gigabyte X470 Aorus Ultra's on-board audio, but aside from picking up a bit more coil whine from my previous 1070 Ti (which could be charitably considered a "noisy SOB" of a graphics card electrically) with the motherboard's audio I couldn't hear much of a difference. I ended up demoting the Xonar to my Windows Vista capture machine, and have been sticking with the on-board audio for my modern PC.

Reply 3 of 8, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Gmlb256 wrote on 2023-12-13, 16:30:

the X-RAM feature which very few titles supported

I understand that this feature only really helped on rather low end systems (and why would splurge on a high end sound card for such a system when you'd better off upgrading other components), but still - is there a list of those titles? As far as I can tell it got released alongside the EAX5 (or maybe late -4) SDK, so I'd expect it to be a subset of the EAX4/5 supporting games?

Reply 4 of 8, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elszgensa wrote on 2023-12-13, 20:34:

I understand that this feature only really helped on rather low end systems (and why would splurge on a high end sound card for such a system when you'd better off upgrading other components), but still - is there a list of those titles?

I don't know if there's a list of games that use X-RAM, but from my own testing, I can say that Doom 3, Quake 4 and Prey all use it, since they share the same engine. They check the sound card and list the exact amount of X-RAM that it has on-board. You can see this if you open up the console and scroll up to where the sound system is initialized. Relevant screenshot here. It's not limited to EAX5 since Doom 3 uses it while only going up to EAX4.

I think Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 use it as well, but those are true EAX5 games. Unreal Tournament 2004 with the EAX5 patch applied uses it as well.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5 of 8, by NJRoadfan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One nice thing about Creative cards in general is one click stereo surround expansion via CMSS. If you have surround speakers, this mirrors stereo sources to the rear channels. The X-Fis also sound pretty good and have decent I/O if you have the expansion bay (MIDI). Not that it matters to most people, these cards have ASIO drivers as well if you do DAW work.

Reply 7 of 8, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree, I'd choose depending on if you wanted to go with PCI or PCI-E more then the card itself.
I also upgraded from the onboard ADI1984A to a X-FI OEM SB0770 card, sound was much better in Win7

Reply 8 of 8, by Pino

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great information as always guys, this is the one forum I know I will learn a lot every time I post a question.

Sounds like I should use the PCI card on my XP rig and give the PCI-E card a try on my modern machine.