VOGONS

First post, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wanted to connect my Xbox 360 to my X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCIe sound card via SPDIF (optical) to see if I could get surround sound that way. For reference, that card is hooked up to a set of Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers which work great for surround sound in Windows XP and Win7 games. However, the X-Fi refused to decode the Dolby Digital 5.1 signal from the Xbox 360. I was testing this under WinXP using the stock drivers from the CD which came with the card, and it looks like I'm missing the "Decoder" tab under the Audio Control Panel. Furthermore, under the SPDIF IO tab, I cannot select any input options, as that field is grayed out:

X-Fi_SPDIF_IO.jpg
Filename
X-Fi_SPDIF_IO.jpg
File size
177.74 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

I'm wondering if this is a driver issue of some sort. I've also tried using DanielK's X-Fi support pack, but the that didn't change anything. That said, my card has an "Encoder" tab, but that's for a different use case, i.e. if you want to output your X-Fi audio to an external device via SPDIF.

Now, out of curiosity, I hooked up the Xbox 360 to the "Optical In" port on the front panel of my Audigy 1 Platinum (SB0090 + SB0010). That card is currently installed under Win98SE. Imagine my surprise when it successfully decoded the signal and delivered flawless 5.1 surround sound in Forza Motorsport 4. On the Audigy, the "Decoder" tab is present and working, and the "Digital Input" tab allows you to choose what you want to do with the SPDIF signal:

Audigy_Decoder.jpg
Filename
Audigy_Decoder.jpg
File size
79.43 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

So my question is, can a Sound Blaster X-Fi somehow do this as well? Maybe by using a special driver version or something? I have both WinXP and Win7 installed on the system housing the X-Fi card.

Last edited by Joseph_Joestar on 2023-12-16, 09:40. Edited 2 times in total.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 1 of 1, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Update: it seems that this isn't possible on PCIe X-Fi cards, at least per Creative's knowledge base article. Quoting the relevant bit, in case the page goes down at some point:

Creative Support wrote:

The PCIe Sound Blaster Optical-In takes in only PCM audio and not the surround encoded signals like Dolby Digital and DTS. Please note that the sound card's drivers do not have the built-in decoder to decode signals coming from Dolby Digital and DTS.

Well that sucks. It's so weird that their older Audigy cards can do this, but their flagship X-Fi Titanium model cannot. I guess it's probably due to some licensing issue or whatever.

P.S.

After successfully testing my Xbox 360 on the Audigy, I then connected my PlayStation 3 via TOSLINK cable to the Audigy's Optical In, and it also delivered proper Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound. Same thing with my PlayStation 4. This worked for games as well as DVD and Blu-ray playback. However, Dolby Pro Logic II (used by some PlayStation 2 games) could not be decoded to surround.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi