VOGONS

First post, by Jawknee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Have always been intrigued to use an external midi module in my setup but I’ve hit a bit of a snag that I’m not sure will require acquiring a more suitable soundcard or not. I recently got an Yamaha MU50 and a gameport to midi cable going from the onboard sound of my motherboard. Its OPL3 with the Yamaha 715 chipset and does send midi information to my module just fine but in DOS games I have simultaneous output from the onboard sound AND the gameport so I’m getting a mix of the module plus music from the internal synth, which I dont want. Now, in Windows (95) I can mute the onboard midi synth and just hear the MU50 fine but DOS apps arent following suit. I downloaded the program ‘Setupsa’ to try to mute the onboard synth in DOS but unless I’m overlooking a particular setting I’m having no luck sadly. Also included a screenshot of the ‘setupsa’ program in case theres any options that should be altered to get that onboard midi turned off that I’m missing.

Attachments

• IMG_7993.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_7993.jpeg
    File size
    542.64 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 2, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you show a photo of your particular card ?

Any internal MIDI chip will be connected input that is tied to the "FM VOL" and one of the "WSS AUX "lines, and turning them to zero will mute FM and the internal MIDI. External module will then be the only one playing if it is connected to LINE.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 2 of 2, by Jawknee

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Its very strange I have tried that and thought that would have done the job but still no luck muting the on board midi while the midi module still plays. Maybe there’s something I’m missing or the program isnt properly changing the settings. I’ll snag a picture and post tomorrow, I sincerely appreciate Your help and suggestion.