VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

After nearly narrowing down the identify of my very first sound card in my very first computer (from a Reveal Multimedia Upgrade Kit,) it seems that there are variations of these cards as far as certain chips that were used. These are all variations of a MAD16 card it would seem (Reveal, Televideo, Diamond, etc.) Some cards use an Analog Devices SoundPort chip, while others use a Crystal chip. Crustal is the one that pops up in hazy memories, but that could be due to the fact that I have seen several Crystal cards over the years.

I am looking to acquire one of these types of cards for my 486 for nostalgia. While I can't be certain which exact chipset was used, unless I am mistaken, I believe that the same drivers are used as either version uses OPL and OPTi chips. Which chip is "better?" The SoundPort, or the Crystal?

Phil made a video about these cards, and the one he had uses the SoundPort chip. He points at the chip while discussing Windows Sound System capability. I demonstrates the driver app which is the app I remember from my teen age 1st PC years:

https://youtu.be/okxN4GVLJRI?t=634

He says it sounds awesome and I know that he does his homework! So I am definitely leaning towards the SoundPort chip, though I am hoping to get other opinions.

Many thanks!

Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 5, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Go with the Crystal chip, it has better sound and much better compatibility with both DOS and Windows.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 2 of 5, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dominusprog wrote on 2023-12-23, 02:33:

Go with the Crystal chip, it has better sound and much better compatibility with both DOS and Windows.

Thank you for your input! The Crystal versions seem to be more common and potentially cheaper than the few SoundPort versions I have seen, so if it is better than the SoundPort, then that is definitely a plus! I hope to find a decently priced one. Some people are selling these cards for $100-200!

Reply 3 of 5, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Scythifuge wrote on 2023-12-23, 03:39:

Thank you for your input! The Crystal versions seem to be more common and potentially cheaper than the few SoundPort versions I have seen, so if it is better than the SoundPort, then that is definitely a plus! I hope to find a decently priced one. Some people are selling these cards for $100-200!

You're welcome. Check this Aztech card.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/166255276379?epid=15 … ABk9SR9KzxtWSYw

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 4 of 5, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dominusprog wrote on 2023-12-23, 02:33:

Not so sure.

You're probably referring to primary controller chips (AD1816 vs CS423x), where the AD1816 is downright awful. However OP is referring to a card with "MAD16" i.e. OPTi 929 which handles SB stuff, interfaces with the - real - OPL3 and just uses the CODEC to do digital to analog conversion. Those CODECs were supplied by either AD or Crystal, but unlike the standalone chips from either vendor, they were pretty interchangeable and were indeed interchanged freely, including on the Aztech MMSN824 cards you link to:

MMSN824 with CS
aztec_top-e1486211431801.jpg

MMSN824 with AD
aztech_mmsn824_1.jpg

Essentially identical cards, just different components here and there, including the interchangeable CODECs.

Aztech - who was also the ODM for Reveal - grabbed whatever chips were available and offered the same functionality. So same applies for a MAD16/OPTi 929-based board: the CODECs are interchangable.

Reply 5 of 5, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I vaguely remember a volume wheel on my very first sound card, but I cannot be certain. I found this pic:

https://www.dosdays.co.uk/topics/images/anchor_mf009.png

After reading various opinions and posts, both here and elsewhere, if I acquire an OPTi based card with an OPL chip, then it shouldn't matter if the codec is crystal or AD SoundPort? I am finding MANY cards with both the OPTi and OPL with either codec, so if it doesn't truly matter, I would probably grab the cheapest one I can find. As long as it sounds good and I can use the GUI set up app which Phil demonstrated, I will be cool with whatever card I get. I emailed Clint from LGR and he said that Reveal released different cards in their Multimedia Upgrade Kits within the same timeframes, so I may never know the exact card I had.

I will always regret missing an auction for a complete Reveal kit which had the exact same software which came with mine, which may have been the only chance I had to get to the closest card or same exact card. I have yet to see another complete kit for sale.