VOGONS

First post, by Ryder252

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello!

I'm attempting to use the Audigy 2 ZS DOS drivers found here for my Win98SE system - a Dell Dimension 4100. After testing a few different DOS games: I only had complete success with Duke 3D and Quake, and others like Jill of the Jungle and Commander Keen would run unplayably glitchy and with PC speaker sound.

As I have a Voodoo3, I also tried some Glide games like Descent and Extreme Assault under pure DOS -and had no luck getting them to run at all. Blinking cursor on any mode for all of them. I'm convinced that it's incompatibility with EMM386, which is needed for the SB16 emulation that makes the sound work in the first place. Thoughts?

Reply 1 of 4, by vetz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Ryder252 wrote on 2023-12-27, 19:31:

As I have a Voodoo3, I also tried some Glide games like Descent and Extreme Assault under pure DOS -and had no luck getting them to run at all. Blinking cursor on any mode for all of them. I'm convinced that it's incompatibility with EMM386, which is needed for the SB16 emulation that makes the sound work in the first place. Thoughts?

Are you using the proper patches? For Descent II you need the D2_3DFX patch, and you need the Voodoo2 patch for Extreme Assault. See Re: Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compability matrix (patches are in the first post)

3D Accelerated Games List (Proprietary APIs - No 3DFX/Direct3D)
3D Acceleration Comparison Episodes

Reply 2 of 4, by Ryder252

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
vetz wrote on 2023-12-27, 20:33:
Ryder252 wrote on 2023-12-27, 19:31:

Are you using the proper patches? For Descent II you need the D2_3DFX patch, and you need the Voodoo2 patch for Extreme Assault. See Re: Voodoo 2 DOS Glide compability matrix (patches are in the first post)

Ah, I had used that thread before when picking games to test, but I didn't realize the patches were there too. I've used patches from other sites before, but I'll test using these when I get home from work this evening and report back. Thanks!

Reply 3 of 4, by Ryder252

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I had time to test out Extreme Assault with the patches you mentioned: in pure dos, xa.exe works as expected while xa_3dfx.exe hangs on a black screen with no cursor after the text-only initialization. I have yet to test DII. Could it possibly have something to do with Glide not playing well with EMM386?