VOGONS

First post, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm doing it in 86Box, but the procedure doesn't differ with real hardware.

The card works in real DOS and games detect it, and after installing its driver it also works in Windows 98 and native windows games (e.g. Hexen II) play MIDI just fine. However, I get no sound in DOS games running in the windows environment (Duke 3D simply says could not detect MPU-401), which has to be because I haven't added its parameters to autoexec.bat.

The problem is I don't know how it needs to be written. The IRQ is 7 and the address is 320.

Anyone got any insights?

Reply 1 of 4, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

MPU-401 interfaces shouldn't require anything in AUTOEXEC.BAT.

It's about setting the game's audio settings to the correct MIDI settings. In this case IRQ 7 and address 320.

Note that those are slightly unusual settings for a MPU-401 device. Typically the standard setting is IRQ 2 and address 330. If the game doesn't allow you to set custom settings then it's possible it can't find the card because it's looking for the wrong IRQ and address.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 4, by eddman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wouldn't IRQ 2 be an issue, since it's used by "Programmable interrupt controller", whatever that does?

That's why I chose IRQ 7. I had to choose address 320 because 330 is taken up by SB16. Duke doesn't allow changing the IRQ for MIDI, only the address.

I switched the card to IRQ 2 and yea, it works, and there don't seem to be any immediate problems.

Reply 3 of 4, by Tempus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some cards like my LAPC-I have a static IRQ 2/9, where the jumpers normally be are just shorted instead. The LAPC-I has an MPU-401 interface. J01 equals IRQ 2/9.

Attachments

• IMG_1826.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_1826.jpg
    File size
    1.65 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Akumajō Dracula: Belmont's Theme Roland MT-32 | Yamaha YM2151

Reply 4 of 4, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
eddman wrote on 2023-12-30, 20:41:

Wouldn't IRQ 2 be an issue, since it's used by "Programmable interrupt controller", whatever that does?

That's why I chose IRQ 7. I had to choose address 320 because 330 is taken up by SB16. Duke doesn't allow changing the IRQ for MIDI, only the address.

I switched the card to IRQ 2 and yea, it works, and there don't seem to be any immediate problems.

The programmable interrupt controller is just the thing that handles interrupt requests. Not all games require or utilize an interrupt for MPU-401 usage, although some do.

When you say you've switched it and it works, does this mean it works in Duke 3D and you can get MIDI playback?

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards