VOGONS

First post, by NStriker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello forum I haven't posted on since 2004!

Way back in the late 90s, my friend had a system with what I believe was an original Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1370. We both have this memory of troubleshooting why it wasn't working and finding a "test your audio" button in the driver control panel somewhere. Or maybe the website? I dunno, it was the 90s and we were on dial-up, so website audio seems less likely.

We both have burned into our psyches a female voice saying "Ensoniq" in a specific cadence when you pushed that button. Which we did. Over and over. "Ensoniq. Ensoniq. Ensoniq."

I would love to find this audio again. I've found ISOs of the original (non-Creative) CDs, but cannot find a bare wav file on it. And I cannot install the driver as no emulator has ES1370 support (though it's on 86Box's to-do list). And of course I no longer have that kind of physical hardware lying around.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, or is this a shared hallucination?

Reply 1 of 5, by Babasha

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
NStriker wrote on 2024-01-06, 23:58:
Hello forum I haven't posted on since 2004! […]
Show full quote

Hello forum I haven't posted on since 2004!

Way back in the late 90s, my friend had a system with what I believe was an original Ensoniq AudioPCI ES1370. We both have this memory of troubleshooting why it wasn't working and finding a "test your audio" button in the driver control panel somewhere. Or maybe the website? I dunno, it was the 90s and we were on dial-up, so website audio seems less likely.

We both have burned into our psyches a female voice saying "Ensoniq" in a specific cadence when you pushed that button. Which we did. Over and over. "Ensoniq. Ensoniq. Ensoniq."

I would love to find this audio again. I've found ISOs of the original (non-Creative) CDs, but cannot find a bare wav file on it. And I cannot install the driver as no emulator has ES1370 support (though it's on 86Box's to-do list). And of course I no longer have that kind of physical hardware lying around.

Anyone know what I'm talking about, or is this a shared hallucination?

APTEST.EXE - Ensoniq DOS sound test utility.

Need help? Begin with photo and model of your hardware 😉

Reply 2 of 5, by NStriker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's possible! With an emulated ES1371 I can run SBTEST.EXE and it says "Testing digital audio." These files look like a straight rip by Creative on Ensoniq's DOS drivers, just renaming "AP" to "SB", but Creative likely changed the voice to remove the Ensoniq name, too.

Unfortunately I cannot run the original APTEST.EXE without an emulated ES1370.

Reply 3 of 5, by NStriker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Never mind. I found the original Ensoniq drivers for the ES1371 here. They work in 86Box emulation, but APTEST.EXE says the same thing as the later Creative version. "Testing digital audio."

Thanks. A good try!

Reply 5 of 5, by NStriker

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Far as I can tell, it only does the ES1371. https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/1003425

I did install it, though .It works with the Creative/Ensoniq driver, but not the original Ensoniq-only driver. I find nothing in Win98 that has any sort of audio test.

Thanks, though. Maybe it was the website, though archive.org hasn't helped.