VOGONS

First post, by Sudos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a BTC-1820 Oak Mozart card here that I must have forgotten I reclaimed the capacitors on for some ungodly reason, and I need a list of all the values. I can make some educated guesses such as C69/75/84 all needing to be 16v 10uF due to placement but I'm clueless for most of the rest.

Also missing a 24.576MHz crystal but I have a few dead cards I can scrounge one off of in short order. The PAL chip for the cdrom interfaces is also missing but it has always been missing.

1000110699-01.jpg
Filename
1000110699-01.jpg
File size
1.04 MiB
Views
File comment
oh no!
File license
Public domain

I want to get this running again as it's a card that so far as I know can be enumerated properly by Unisound, and I'm going through and testing out a bunch of cards in my inventory for weirdness.

It doesn't look like anything else is missing, but in order to get it working again for testing, I need a cap list to proceed. I've seen a few threads where the board is discussed so I know it's a somewhat common enough card.

Any help towards a fully functional card is greatly appreciated.

gi3jzt-2.png
qxkaxq-2.png

Reply 1 of 5, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I can help somewhat - I don't have the same card as you but it's very similar in that it's just the one with the OPL4 wave table chips compared to the OPL3.

mozart-caps-1.jpg
Filename
mozart-caps-1.jpg
File size
1.44 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The ones on the edge of the card that are used for smoothing voltages on the digital side, like the C69 and C75 capacitors are all 25v 10uF.

mozart-caps-2.jpg
Filename
mozart-caps-2.jpg
File size
391.54 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The ones coming off of the CS4231 audio codec which are part of the audio path are pretty much all 50v 1uF.
There appears to be a 25v 1uF in one spot on mine but having a 50v where a 25v should be should make little difference. edit: this was incorrect, there's a mark to the printing that made me think it's a U instead of a 0 at C58 on my card - really that's a digital cap hooked to the Ground plane that goes to the KIA324P op-amp.

mozart-caps-4.jpg
Filename
mozart-caps-4.jpg
File size
980.09 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The big caps (C16,C18,C19) on the TDA1517 are 16v 470uF.
The other large caps which I think are C14, C27, C29 and perhaps that says C28? it's the one on the opposite side of C29 down by C27, those are 16v 100uF.

mozart-caps-3.jpg
Filename
mozart-caps-3.jpg
File size
798.02 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Your card has some caps that mine does not and I can only guess what goes there but looking at the rest of the card, caps that go into the ground plane (C9, C12) are digital caps and should be 25v 10uF. Then there are caps that do not hook to the ground plane and should be part of the audio path (C10, C13, C23, C24) and those should probably be 50v 1uF.

You also need to re-fit the 7805 regulator and the 24.576MHz crystal.

Hope that helps you get your card working 😀 Although I can't assist fully since my card is different I can potentially measure and check stuff if needed.

Reply 2 of 5, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have another Mozart variation. Maybe it helps.

Attachments

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 3 of 5, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

More pictures

edit: added picture of backside

Attachments

Last edited by DerBaum on 2024-01-16, 18:16. Edited 1 time in total.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 4 of 5, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Huh, the PCB designer for that yellow PCB must've gone to Asus after working for that company - so odd seeing the filled in part of the circle on the silk-screen be the positive side.

Reply 5 of 5, by Sudos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you all a bunch for the help-- I did find some images of my specific card off an eBay seller with a good chunk of images of the caps I was most concerned about but this definitely helps even more.

Need to figure out where I misplaced the card in the last nearly two weeks... And then I can start repopulating it with a mix of new caps I have in stock and... I'll have to inevitably pull from the reclaimed parts box. There's no real way around it this time.

As far as the crystal is concerned, there should be one in the reclaimed box as it stands so I should be good there... And I think I have a '99 Mitsubishi 7805 from the very rusty SACD/DVD player thing I tore down last year, as sad as it sounds, but it got moused pretty bad in the garage prior to the move and space is at a premium. Thankfully the innards were okay.

I'll post back with pics once I have it most of the way or all the way recapped. It ain't gonna be pretty but it should do the duty.

gi3jzt-2.png
qxkaxq-2.png