VOGONS

Reply 20 of 22, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Another aspect I haven't really thought through: how to hook everything up. I have:

- Let's say a MIDI module with line-out.
- A MFF PC with built-in speakers, but only a headset port 'in', and line-out.
- A monitor with built-in speakers and only hdmi in.

Is there a way to use a headset port for line-in? I am assuming no. That rules out mixing in the MIDI output on the PC side. Option 2 would be combining the MIDI line-out and PC's line-out in an external mixer, but then I see no way of getting that back to either the PC or monitor. Which leaves option 3: external speakers, which is adding yet more stuff to carry around.

Anyone have a clever solution for this? Some converter or cable I didn't know existed perhaps? Line-out to usb?

Reply 21 of 22, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are HDMI audio injectors

https://www.jaycar.com.au/hdmi-stereo-audio-i … serter/p/AC1636

You would just need one with audio inputs for both sources. Or a little passive mixer. The birds nest of devices grows...

Reply 22 of 22, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Pierre32 wrote on 2024-01-19, 01:44:

There are HDMI audio injectors

https://www.jaycar.com.au/hdmi-stereo-audio-i … serter/p/AC1636

You would just need one with audio inputs for both sources. Or a little passive mixer. The birds nest of devices grows...

Haha, yeah, this is escalating quickly...

The main problem here is missing decent audio inputs on most (or at least my) laptops and mini PCs. I found line-in to usb 'adapters', but these are essentially external sound cards it seems, and I assume plugging one in would disable the PCs internal sound card.

Headset adapters ('reverse jack splitters') are probably a good way to blow up the microphone part of the headset port, and I doubt it accepts a stereo signal to begin with.

So I agree, unless I'm missing something, the mixing and merging will need to be done externally. I'll Google around for similar devices...