VOGONS

First post, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Got a Trust Sound Expert Wave 32 sound card which looks like to be the same as an Aztech Sound Galaxy Waverider 32+ according to the specs in this post Re: Help to Identify Aztech ISA Sound Card.

It is recognized as an Aztech Sound Galaxy Washington 16 in Windows 95 though. But whatever driver I use it always is using 2 IRQ's. One for SB (=5) and another one for something else (7 or 11 depending what is free). That is excluding IRQ 2/9 which is used by the MPU-401 on the card.

The second IRQ is a mystery for me. Where does it come from and by what it's used? It can only be set to IRQ 7 or higher in Windows 95. In the DOS config tool I can only see one IRQ which can be set (besides the MPU-401). Anyone knows?

Reply 2 of 10, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DerBaum wrote on 2024-01-25, 03:11:

Can you post a picture of the card?
When i search for it on google it looks like a OPTI card not Aztech.

Maybe its the IRQ for the IDE connector?

See attachments for pictures. I disabled IDE in the config utility already. Also I disabled Windows Sound System just to look if that made a difference. But 2 IRQ's are still used.

Attachments

• back.jpg
    Filename
    back.jpg
    File size
    149.09 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • front.jpg
    Filename
    front.jpg
    File size
    315.47 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 10, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Yoghoo wrote on 2024-01-24, 23:05:

The second IRQ is a mystery for me. Where does it come from and by what it's used? It can only be set to IRQ 7 or higher in Windows 95. In the DOS config tool I can only see one IRQ which can be set (besides the MPU-401). Anyone knows?

Windows Sound System (WSS) maybe?

Some sound cards allow IRQ sharing between SB and WSS, but others need separate resources for each.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5 of 10, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-01-25, 08:45:
Yoghoo wrote on 2024-01-24, 23:05:

Windows Sound System (WSS) maybe?

Some sound cards allow IRQ sharing between SB and WSS, but others need separate resources for each.

I disabled that already before but it still uses an IRQ.

Reply 6 of 10, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
giantclam wrote on 2024-01-25, 09:06:
IDE CD interrupt... if you can get the right version of the hwset utility it shows... […]
Show full quote

IDE CD interrupt... if you can get the right version of the hwset utility it shows...

3SyPlXN.png

I played around with it. But even if I set /CDIRQ:N and /CD:D and write to EEPROM (I changed the jumper to use EEPROM in the mean time as well) it still uses 2 IRQ's.

Reply 7 of 10, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got a copy of the original floppies for this card. But can't use them as they are probably for Windows 3.1. Installing them makes Windows 95 not starting up again.

But if I look in the SETUP.INF on those floppies I see a line "Wave IRQ=7, 9, 10, 11" in it. So it seems the Wave chip needs a separate IRQ (besides the SB and MPU-401 IRQ).

Makes sense I guess but it's a bit inconvenient as I am out of IRQ's. So probably need to disable the parallel port which I tried to avoid. 🙁

Reply 8 of 10, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Yoghoo wrote on 2024-01-25, 09:32:
giantclam wrote on 2024-01-25, 09:06:
IDE CD interrupt... if you can get the right version of the hwset utility it shows... […]
Show full quote

IDE CD interrupt... if you can get the right version of the hwset utility it shows...

3SyPlXN.png

I played around with it. But even if I set /CDIRQ:N and /CD:D and write to EEPROM (I changed the jumper to use EEPROM in the mean time as well) it still uses 2 IRQ's.

I have problems too writing the settings to the EEPROM on GEN3 Aztech cards. For example on my MMSN824 (wich should be exactly your card but without the wavetable).
640px-Crystal_CS4231-KL_ISA_sound_card.JPG
It just doesnt write the settings.
The star in HWSET shows the base settings not the actual settings.

Reboot the system without loading config.sys and autoexec.bat. Then run HWSET with a wrong command (for example HWSET /d). This will not change the settings (and tell you have used a wrong command) but show the summary with the settings from the card eeprom. (On my card it always sets itself to 0x240 and irq 7 with some weird DMA settings).

I am sure i do something wrong, and i have not figured out what...

I was so desperate that i even read the EEPROM with my EEPROM reader and its empty. (Just the first byte is 01 all others are 00).
And i am also not quite sure if the AZT2316A(your card) acts the same as a ATZ2316-S(MMSN824).
Generation 3 can have 4 different chips. AZT2316 (example MMSN819), ATZ2316-S (example MMSN824), AZT2316A (example MMSN826), AZT2316R (example MMSN845).
I am not sure if each chip needs a specific HWset version.

Last edited by DerBaum on 2024-01-25, 12:56. Edited 1 time in total.

FCKGW-RHQQ2

Reply 9 of 10, by Yoghoo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DerBaum wrote on 2024-01-25, 12:38:
I have problems too writing the settings to the EEPROM on GEN3 Aztech cards. For example on my MMSN824 (wich should be exactly y […]
Show full quote

I have problems too writing the settings to the EEPROM on GEN3 Aztech cards. For example on my MMSN824 (wich should be exactly your card but without the wavetable).
It just doesnt write the settings.
The star in HWSET shows the base settings not the actual settings.

Reboot the system without loading config.sys and autoexec.bat. Then run HWSET with a wrong command (for example HWSET /d). This will not change the settings (and tell you have used a wrong command) but show the summary with the settings from the card eeprom.

I am sure i do something wrong, and i have not figured out what...

I was so desperate that i even read the EEPROM with my EEPROM reader and its empty. (Just the first byte is 01 all others are 00).
And i am also not quite sure if the AZT2316A(your card) acts the same as a ATZ2316-S(MMSN824).
Generation 3 can have 4 different chips. AZT2316 (example MMSN819), ATZ2316-S (example MMSN824), AZT2316A (example MMSN8826), AZT2316R (example MMSN845).
I am not sure if each chip needs a specific HWset version.

There should be a jumper on this card as well then. Mine got a jumper to use the EEPROM or not. Maybe try to add or remove a jumper for that option.

Reply 10 of 10, by DerBaum

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Yoghoo wrote on 2024-01-25, 12:52:

There should be a jumper on this card as well then. Mine got a jumper to use the EEPROM or not. Maybe try to add or remove a jumper for that option.

The JMPCFG position on my card doesnt change anything. I have tried both positions.
First i used it wrong because i thought 1-2 is on the left position... But its actually on the right position to enable the eeprom (on MMSN824).

FCKGW-RHQQ2