Rank

I have a sound card whose chip says:

C3DX
HSP56
CMI8738/PCI-SX
HRTF Audio Com
M7115-037D
0202UGG1EA

My motherboard has 3 PCI slots. First I put the sound card in slot #3 (furthest from AGP slot). I installed the Win9x driver and ran Prince of Persia v1.0. The game sounds played, like footsteps, gates shutting, slabs falling, etc. But the music didn't play (menu music, the little tune when prince dies, etc.). Then I installed the DOS driver (both Win9x and DOS drivers taken from philscomputerlab website). From what I can see, DOS driver puts 3 programs in C:\PCIAUD directory and adds a few lines to autoexec.bat. But after DOS driver installation, NONE of the prince sounds worked - music or otherwise. Once I removed the autoexec.bat lines, again the prince sounds (except music) started working.

Then I installed DOS 7.1 standalone. Installed the DOS driver, but no sounds at all.

Then I switched the card to PCI slot #1. This time the sound card wasn't even detected in DOS 7.1. So I switched the card to PCI slot #2. And NOW the prince sounds (but STILL no music) work.

So now I want to ask - how do I resolve the issue of music not playing? How do I install and configure the sound card so that prince sound works entirely, including effects and music? Is it possible?

Reply 1 of 4, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had a similar issue. This seems to be an issue with using 8738 cards. First thing you can try is setting the sound blaster settings for SB pro in the sound settings. Try changing the irq to 5. If the sound settings is not available, try using prince of Persia v1.2. It should have the sound config file. Btw what mobo are you using?

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP

Reply 2 of 4, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stealthjoe wrote on 2024-01-26, 14:08:

I had a similar issue. This seems to be an issue with using 8738 cards. First thing you can try is setting the sound blaster settings for SB pro in the sound settings. Try changing the irq to 5. If the sound settings is not available, try using prince of Persia v1.2. It should have the sound config file. Btw what mobo are you using?

I'm using 775i65G. I couldn't find PoP 1.2, but I did try 1.3. It just gives me an option to set port to 220 (no option to adjust IRQ). Once I select SBPro, I again get only sound effects, no music. Then I tried PoP v1.4 - for both IRQ 5 and 7, I get sound effects, but no music (I only get the option to set IRQ and all that stuff for Sound Device, not for the Music Synthesizer).

Then I went ahead and installed Carmageddon. In the sndsetup for that, again, the sound device can be set to SBPro with option for both IRQ 5 or 7. It shows no MIDI Device in the MIDI device list. In Carma too, there are sound effects, but no music.

Reply 3 of 4, by stealthjoe

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah Sorry. It's actually 1.1.There was no v1.2. I am assuming you are using the dos mode within windows 9x to run pop. Can you try restarting into dos mode. This one worked for me, but had used a sb live.

Intel 845GEBV2, Pentium 4 2.4 Ghz, Geforce FX5600 256MB, 512MB RAM, 160GB HDD, Sound Blaster Live! SB0100 - Win 98/XP

Reply 4 of 4, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A couple things to check:

-Have you disabled the on-board sound card? If not, plug your speakers into that jack and see if the music is coming out there.
-Also disable anything else you aren't using in the BIOS to free up resources. (serial and parallel ports, networking, usb, etc).
-If your BIOS supports it, see if you can manually assign resources to the specific PCI slot you want to use.