VOGONS

First post, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The ESS Solo-1 has a reputation for being a highly compatible PCI sound card for use with DOS games. As it can be useful for systems without ISA slots, I did some testing to see how compatible it is and what sort of issues might arise with different games.

Links to specific systems tested:

486 DX-33 / Beyond 486IP-B-2-A
Pentium 100 / DFI P5BTX/L
Pentium 4 (Northwood) 2.0 GHz / ASUS P4S533-E

The specific card I'm using is a Terratec Promedia branded card. It didn't include a wavetable header when I received it; I soldered one in after the fact.

ESS Solo-1 Card Front.jpg
Filename
ESS Solo-1 Card Front.jpg
File size
1.28 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
ESS Solo-1 Card Back.jpg
Filename
ESS Solo-1 Card Back.jpg
File size
1.18 MiB
Views
File license

General MIDI support was tested using a Yucatan FX daughtercard, but any GM compatible card should work. MT-32 support was tested using an MT-32 Rev 0 (old) model.

ESS Solo-1 Card Wavetable Attached.jpg
Filename
ESS Solo-1 Card Wavetable Attached.jpg
File size
1.56 MiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

This card works with ESSVOL. The internal wavetable header volume can be adjusted via the Aux B volume option. This is useful if using this card for digital sound effects alongside an external MIDI module.

Tools used to mitigate some of the noted issues include the following:

CPUSPD - CpuSpd - A Hardware Based CPU Speed Control Utility for DOS/Win9X Retro Gaming
SETMUL - SetMul - Multiplier control for VIA C3 / AMD K6+7+8 Mobile / Cyrix 5x86
SOFTMPU - *START HERE* SoftMPU 1.91 - Software Intelligent MPU-401 Emulator
MIDITO - MIDIto r12 (Midi and FM redirection, Mixer locking, Sound Blaster fixes)
GSPLAY - DOS Days - MIDI Downloads

Chart legend is as follows:

Green - Works without any additional software
Yellow - Requires additional software to mitigate noted issues
Red - Not working or major issues affecting playback

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2024-02-22, 12:01. Edited 10 times in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 1 of 27, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The 486 DX-33 system was used as a baseline for testing to rule out most speed sensitivity issues with games.

In this setup trying to use the ESSVOL.SYS device driver didn't work. It would just freeze on boot. The card still worked without it and defaulted to TDMA mode.

For the most part compatibility was good with relatively few issues noted.

The Secret of Monkey Island was the only game that required throttling due to speed sensitivity. In comparison using an MPU-401AT card did not need throttling to playback correctly.

Abuse failed to initialize the MPU-401 driver. Speed throttling or using SoftMPU didn't help.

Prehistorik would either fail Sound Blaster detection or freeze in game. This depended on the version of CT-VOICE.DRV used.

Some games like Quake and Shadow Warrior exhibited stuttering during audio playback. This was due to low frame rates and not a fault of the audio card. These games were not intended to run on an underpowered system.

ESS Solo-1 486 DX-33.png
Filename
ESS Solo-1 486 DX-33.png
File size
124.99 KiB
Views
File license

Notes for the above chart:

Note 1 - Prince of Persia requires MT-32 with firmware version 1.07.

Note 2 - Space Quest 4 sets internal wavetable volume to zero. Use MIDITO to lock mixer before playing.

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2024-01-30, 00:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 2 of 27, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I tested this Pentium 100 setup to act as a "control" of sorts with respect to speed sensitivity. While there are still some titles that exhibit speed sensitivity (mainly re: MT-32 support), this should rule out any speed sensitive issues from the mid-90s and onward.

In this setup trying to use the ESSVOL.SYS device driver didn't work. It would just freeze on boot. The card still worked without it, but seemed limited to DDMA mode.

For the most part compatibility was good with relatively few issues noted.

For speed sensitive MT-32 games, I found using SoftMPU would result in correct playback but speed throttling with SETMUL (cache disabling) or CPUSPD didn't help. This could in part be due to the limited throttling options available for a Pentium 100.

Abuse failed to initialize the MPU-401 driver. Speed throttling or using SoftMPU didn't help.

Descent also failed to detect MPU-401 hardware. This is puzzling since it does work with the Pentium 4 system I tested. I'm wondering if this might be a symptom of DDMA mode.

Prehistorik would either fail Sound Blaster detection or freeze in game. This depended on the version of CT-VOICE.DRV used.

ESS Solo-1 Pentium 100 v2.png
Filename
ESS Solo-1 Pentium 100 v2.png
File size
131.07 KiB
Views
File license

Note 1 - Blackthorne FM playback does not work during the intro cutscene unless throttled (e.g. disable L1 cache). Intro music and in-game music work.

Note 2 - Prince of Persia requires MT-32 with firmware version 1.07.

Note 3 - SimCity 2000's speed sensitity results in music not playing at the intro/menu. In-game music can be triggered on by switch music off then on. Use SoftMPU to fix speed sensitivity.

Note 4 - Space Quest 4 sets internal wavetable volume to zero. Use MIDITO to lock mixer before playing. Speed sensitivity issues result in incorrect instruments being played. Use SoftMPU to fix.

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2024-01-30, 00:14. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 3 of 27, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This Pentium 4 2.0GHz system is a more likely scenario to use an ESS Solo-1 card where ISA slots are not available.

This setup required the use of the ESSVOL.SYS device driver or the card would not be detected. It also seemed limited to TDMA mode. I could not get the card to operate in DDMA mode, despite the fact the motherboard chipset allegedly supports DDMA.

Despite the fast processor speed, compatibility was still generally good.

For speed sensitive MT-32 games, I found that using CPUSPD to set CPU Modulation to 4/8 and/or using SoftMPU would correct playback issues.

Abuse failed to initialize the MPU-401 device for GM playback. Using a program like GSPLAY to initialize the MPU-401 device first then launching Abuse results in proper General MIDI playback.

Epic Pinball sometimes worked properly, but other times would exhibit static distortion accompanying its digital playback. I could not get it to playback properly consistently, so I marked it red accordingly.

Dark Forces' MPU-401 support seems to be speed sensitive. I've tested on other fast systems with other cards (including an MPU-401AT) and it always locks up. Using CPUSPD and setting CPU throttling to 2/8 and CPU modulation to 4/8 allows its MPU-401 support to work.

Day of the Tentacle's digital audio suffered from distortion but this was corrected with CPU throttling via CPUSPD.

Prehistorik failed to detect the presence of a Sound Blaster regardless of the version of CT-VOICE.DRV used.

ESS Solo-1 Pentium 4 2 GHz v4.png
Filename
ESS Solo-1 Pentium 4 2 GHz v4.png
File size
134.2 KiB
Views
File license

Note 1 - Blackthorne FM and General MIDI music does not play during opening cutscene. Requires CPU throttling for music to work in-game.

Note 2 - Prince of Persia requires MT-32 with firmware version 1.07.

Note 3 - SimCity 2000's speed sensitity results in music not playing at the intro/menu. In-game music can be triggered on by switch music off then on. Use CPUSPD to fix speed sensitivity. SoftMPU does not seem to fix issue.

Note 4 - Space Quest 4 sets internal wavetable volume to zero. Use MIDITO to lock mixer before playing. Speed sensitivity issues result in incorrect instruments being played. Use SoftMPU or CPUSPD to fix.

Note 5 - Tyrian required speed throttling to run (use CPUSPD). Digital sound was distorted. FM and General MIDI music played back fine.

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2024-02-22, 12:04. Edited 8 times in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 4 of 27, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Interesting findings.

If it's not too much trouble, can you check if the wavetable header produces correct stereo music? The easiest way to test this is to play Doom, go to E1M2 and listen to the music track. The initial sound should come from the left speaker, then shift right, then move back left.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 5 of 27, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-01-27, 20:28:

If it's not too much trouble, can you check if the wavetable header produces correct stereo music? The easiest way to test this is to play Doom, go to E1M2 and listen to the music track. The initial sound should come from the left speaker, then shift right, then move back left.

The wavetable header is stereo reversed. I imagine the card could modded similar to the Yamaha Audician 32 to correct this issue, but I haven't attempted it yet.

Upon further testing it's actually the Yucatan FX card that had reversed stereo. The ESS Solo-1 wavetable header appears to have the correct stereo pins based on testing other daughtercards.

Based on my testing regular digital audio isn't reserved. And naturally playing from an external MIDI module will have correct stereo placement.

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2024-01-28, 16:55. Edited 2 times in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 6 of 27, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-01-27, 20:49:

The wavetable header is stereo reversed. I imagine the card could modded similar to the Yamaha Audician 32 to correct this issue, but I haven't attempted it yet.

Note that these two well-known daughterboards have their stereo left and right wired differently:
Yamaha DB50XG
Roland SCB-7
So it depends on the combination of host card and daughterboard...
Midi daughterboard trouble

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 7 of 27, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote on 2024-01-28, 02:36:
Note that these two well-known daughterboards have their stereo left and right wired differently: Yamaha DB50XG Roland SCB-7 So […]
Show full quote
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-01-27, 20:49:

Note that these two well-known daughterboards have their stereo left and right wired differently:
Yamaha DB50XG
Roland SCB-7
So it depends on the combination of host card and daughterboard...
Midi daughterboard trouble

Interesting, didn't know this.

I happened to have a Roland SCB-7 and did some further testing with it and a handful of other daughterboards.

It turns out the Yucatan FX looks like it's also stereo reversed, as it has the same reversed stereo playback as the Roland SCB-7.

Testing four other daughterboards (Dreamblaster X16, Dreamblaster X2SE, Diamond Monster Sound 4MB and NEC XR385), all of those cards have the correct stereo channels.

It looks like the Solo-1 has correct wavetable stereo pins after all! 😀

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2024-01-28, 03:30. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 8 of 27, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-01-27, 20:28:

Interesting findings.

An addendum to my previous reply, it looks like the Solo-1 has the correct stereo channels. It's actually the Yucatan FX card that is stereo reversed. I tested a number of other daughterboards and other than the SCB-7 (which is also reversed), the rest all play back with the correct stereo channels.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 9 of 27, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-01-28, 03:29:

An addendum to my previous reply, it looks like the Solo-1 has the correct stereo channels. It's actually the Yucatan FX card that is stereo reversed. I tested a number of other daughterboards and other than the SCB-7 (which is also reversed), the rest all play back with the correct stereo channels.

Heh, I wasn't aware that multiple daughterboards had their stereo reversed as well. I knew about the Yamaha DB50XG, but not the rest. Looks like getting proper General MIDI via wavetable header was kind of a minefield back on the day.

On an unrelated note, here are a few games which had issues on my Solo-1 card, in case you want to test them as well:

• Dyna Blaster - freezes when digital audio is played
  • Prehistorik - freezes when digital audio is played
  • Rambo 3 - no FM synth music
  • Tyrian - crackles when digital audio is played (most noticeable while navigating menus)

Some of these can be resolved by using SB-Link instead of DDMA/TDMA, but others remain unfixable, at least on my system. Lastly, if you want to test the Solo-1 for SBPro stereo compatibility, James-F posted some tools and instructions here.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 10 of 27, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-01-28, 06:49:

Heh, I wasn't aware that multiple daughterboards had their stereo reversed as well. I knew about the Yamaha DB50XG, but not the rest. Looks like getting proper General MIDI via wavetable header was kind of a minefield back on the day.

I find it odd that this affects the Yucatan FX since it's a modern clone of the Cancun FX. Although maybe this was an issue with the original as well? Unfortunately I don't have an original to compare with.

On an unrelated note, here are a few games which had issues on my Solo-1 card, in case you want to test them as well: […]
Show full quote

On an unrelated note, here are a few games which had issues on my Solo-1 card, in case you want to test them as well:

• Dyna Blaster - freezes when digital audio is played
  • Prehistorik - freezes when digital audio is played
  • Rambo 3 - no FM synth music
  • Tyrian - crackles when digital audio is played (most noticeable while navigating menus)

I'm currently testing on a 486 DX-33 setup to hopefully mitigate any speed sensitivity issues.

Tried these four games and got the following results:

Dyna Blaster and Prehistorik - I get no sound effects. It doesn't freeze, just doesn't play anything. Also, Prehistorik's setup says that it can't detect Sound Blaster, but it works with Adlib.
Rambo 3 - can't detect Adlib
Tyrian - distorted digital audio, no FM music, General MIDI music plays fine

I'll keep testing these games to see if I can get any other results.

Lastly, if you want to test the Solo-1 for SBPro stereo compatibility, James-F posted some tools and instructions here.

I haven't noticed any instances of the SB Pro audio being reversed. Testing in various games setup programs always produces the correct stereo channels for digital audio.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 11 of 27, by gerwin

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-01-28, 17:01:

I find it odd that this affects the Yucatan FX since it's a modern clone of the Cancun FX. Although maybe this was an issue with the original as well? Unfortunately I don't have an original to compare with.

Cancun FX behaved the same as DB50XG in that regard. As was written in the old 2007 topic that I linked to.
But it is up tot the PCB designer to route Left and Right to certain waveblaster pins. It is not a chip related issue.

It is a rather stupid situation, that such mix-ups exist. Creative Labs invented the waveblaster connector, maybe they published a paper which had stereo reversed, thus causing confusion?

--> ISA Soundcard Overview // Doom MBF 2.04 // SetMul

Reply 12 of 27, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-01-28, 17:01:

Dyna Blaster and Prehistorik - I get no sound effects. It doesn't freeze, just doesn't play anything. Also, Prehistorik's setup says that it can't detect Sound Blaster, but it works with Adlib.
Rambo 3 - can't detect Adlib

IIRC, Dyna Blaster wants a slow system in the range of a 386 (disabling caches should work), while Prehistorik needs a few additional steps to produce digital audio. This is from @bloodem who is much more familiar with that game than I am:

bloodem wrote:

1. Extract the attached ct-voice.drv file in the prehistorik folder (this is the SB-PRO driver file) and replace any pre-existing file that you have there.
2. Delete the existing GRAWAGA.CFG file. After that, the game will start with the setup menu and it will ask you for video and sound preferences.

I think this is the relevant version of CT-VOICE.DRV. More info on that file and similar issues can be found here: Sound Driver Pack

I haven't noticed any instances of the SB Pro audio being reversed. Testing in various games setup programs always produces the correct stereo channels for digital audio.

Descent is notorious for having reversed SBPro stereo by default, unless you manually flip the relevant switch in setup.

Reply 13 of 27, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-01-28, 17:18:

IIRC, Dyna Blaster wants a slow system in the range of a 386 (disabling caches should work), while Prehistorik needs a few additional steps to produce digital audio. This is from @bloodem who is much more familiar with that game than I am:

I retested both games. Strangely Dyna Blaster now locks up when it should play digital sound whereas my initial testing it just wouldn't play anything. Trying a couple different CT-VOICE.DRV drivers, I was able to get Prehistorik to accept the Sound Blaster in its setup. However, it does lock up in game.

I tried various throttling methods and other configuration changes, but couldn't get either game to work.

I tested both games with a pair of ISA Yamaha Audician cards and digital audio worked just fine on both cards. I also tested Tyrian and it sounds fine on the Yamaha cards.

Descent is notorious for having reversed SBPro stereo by default, unless you manually flip the relevant switch in setup.

Yes, Descent does produce reversed stereo. Though other games I tested (e.g. various Build engine games, Doom, Dark Forces) seemed fine though.

Last edited by Shponglefan on 2024-01-28, 18:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 14 of 27, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
gerwin wrote on 2024-01-28, 17:18:

Cancun FX behaved the same as DB50XG in that regard. As was written in the old 2007 topic that I linked to.
But it is up tot the PCB designer to route Left and Right to certain waveblaster pins. It is not a chip related issue.

It is a rather stupid situation, that such mix-ups exist. Creative Labs invented the waveblaster connector, maybe they published a paper which had stereo reversed, thus causing confusion?

That's interesting that the Cancun FX is similarly affected. I wonder why the Yucatan FX wasn't corrected when it was made?

It is quite silly all the various stereo reversal issues that plague older hardware (and software). This is one reason I like using independent cards/modules for digital audio and music. If something is reversed, I can just swap left and right cables on the my mixer.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 15 of 27, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-01-28, 18:46:

I retested both games. Strangely Dyna Blaster now locks up when it should play digital sound whereas my initial testing it just wouldn't play anything. Trying a couple different CT-VOICE.DRV drivers, I was able to get Prehistorik to accept the Sound Blaster in its setup. However, it does lock up in game.

Back when I was testing this, I was able to resolve the digital audio issues in Prehistorik and Dyna Blaster by using SB-Link on my Solo-1.

However, Tyrian and Rambo 3 still didn't work correctly. I think those two games have problems even on older (ISA) sound cards from ESS.

Reply 16 of 27, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-01-28, 19:17:

Back when I was testing this, I was able to resolve the digital audio issues in Prehistorik and Dyna Blaster by using SB-Link on my Solo-1.

What type of set up were you using for testing?

I have a few boards with SB-Link (I think they are either LX or BX chipsets). I'm hoping to test SB link functionality at some point.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 17 of 27, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-01-28, 19:44:

Abit ZM6 (Intel 440ZX) paired with a Mendocino Celeron 466. It's my only motherboard with SB-Link. Win98SE was installed and 4.12.01.1165 drivers for the Solo-1 were used.

I posted a mini-guide on how to get it working here.

Reply 18 of 27, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-01-28, 20:03:
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-01-28, 19:44:

Abit ZM6 (Intel 440ZX) paired with a Mendocino Celeron 466. It's my only motherboard with SB-Link. Win98SE was installed and 4.12.01.1165 drivers for the Solo-1 were used.

I posted a mini-guide on how to get it working here.

Good to know, thanks!

I'm hoping my Solo-1 card will work with SB Link. I've yet to be able to get it to manually change modes via the ESSOLO.INI file (e.g. TDMA, DDMA). Hoping it will work with SB Link.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 19 of 27, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In my testing to date, Prince of Persia's MT-32 playback has been incorrect. No amount of throttling or other tweaks have made a difference.

Tonight I was testing a series of games with the MT-32 and when I got to Prince of Persia, it started playing back correctly. My excitement was short-lived, because after power-cycling the MT-32, it stopped working again.

I decided to test an MPU-401AT card instead of the Solo and ran into the same issue: incorrect playback. This was puzzling it works on my desktop 486 setup which also uses an MPU-401AT, but has a different MT-32. So I checked the firmware on each MT-32.

The MT-32 that doesn't work is 1.05, while my other MT-32 is 1.07. I tested the MT-32 with firmware 1.07 and Prince of Persia's music played back correctly.

That still didn't explain why the the 1.05 MT-32 had worked that one time. Since I had been testing a variety of games, I figured maybe launching MT-32 support in a different game first then followed by Prince of Persia had something to do with it.

After further trial and error, I discovered that if I launch The Secret of Monkey Island first and let it play for a few seconds (just past the logo) before running Prince of Persia, the latter game will playback correctly. I have no idea why, but The Secret of Monkey Island must be sending it some sort of instructions that allows the 1.05 MT-32 to play back correctly.

MT-32 Prince of Persia.jpg
Filename
MT-32 Prince of Persia.jpg
File size
375.49 KiB
Views
File license

In summary Prince of Persia's MT-32 music and sound works in two scenarios:

• using an MT-32 with 1.07 firmware; and,
  • using an MT-32 with 1.05 firmware provided I first launch The Secret of Monkey Island, let it run just past the logo screen, quit, and then launch Prince of Persia.

I'll have to re-test Prince of Persia with those other setups (Pentium 100 and P4).

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build