VOGONS

First post, by maverick1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I've recently put together another dual boot system (DOS 6.22 & Win98SE) & while the soundcard is nicely detected & working flawlessly in DOS, I can't get it to work in Win98.
I didn't get any error notifications but it's like the card it's not even detected in Windows.
System specs:
QDI Kinetiz 7E
Athlon 1000 MHz
512 MB RAM
SB Pro2 CT1600 ISA
3dfx Voodoo 3 AGP

I have another dual boot system (again DOS 6.22 & Win98SE) but everything works fine either in DOS or Windows (QDI Legend Advance 10, Celeron 1100 MHz, 1.5 GB RAM, SB Pro 2 CT1600 ISA, ATI Rage IIC, Voodoo 2).

Did anyone have any similar situations ?

Reply 2 of 6, by maverick1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's the same outcome, I've tried hardware detection, but no success. I've followed the same installation order/procedure as on the previous build (which is working as mentioned earlier) & nothing happens. I don't even get a unknown hardware notification or something like that.

Reply 3 of 6, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That's strange indeed ... I would try thefollowing steps: Reserve the IRQ (5 and 7) to legacy ISA in the BIOS settings. Let the BIOS controll the resources and select PNP OS > NO. Disable Printer Port in BIOS.
Try another ISA -Slot (if available). Another idea was to lower the cpu speed to check if it is a speed issue and check the supply voltages but as the card works fine in DOS thats obviously not be the problem.
I hope you can get it to work!

Reply 4 of 6, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Go to BIOS and set PnP OS to No, then in Device Manager go into device profiles and set Port IRQ and DMA exactly as jumpered by the card.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 5 of 6, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am surprised that your SB Pro is even working in DOS with such a fast system. In my experience those cards will start to have issues on a fast Pentium. Maybe there's something I don't know and there are ways to make them work on faster PCs, but I would look into that as a possibility.

Reply 6 of 6, by maverick1234

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's actually working in Win98 now. All I had to do is to manually add SB Pro (in add hardware) & install procedure went fine, without any errors, unlike before when I tried auto detection and it would hang in the middle so I'd have to reboot.
Thank you all, glad it's working now.