VOGONS

First post, by stu_e_hughes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to find out what options I have to listen to MIDI from my retro PC builds. I have a P100 with AWE64 card and another build with PII 266 and a Terratec Base 1.
An MT-32 or SC is out of my budget range so can I send MIDI directly from my gameport to my modern PC, and then play that through midiplayer/Munt? What configuration and cables are needed?

Also, could I output the MIDI to a MT32-PI somehow?

I will separately experiment with daughter boards/wavetable for my sound cards. But for now i'd really like to output to a seperate device as mentioned.

Thanks all!

Reply 1 of 4, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Phil did a video on this. If you haven't seen it, it's worth checking out: Roland MIDI Emulator Project 2.0 for best music with DOS Retro Games

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 4, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

softmpu with a null modem cable is the easiest way to handle outputting midi from a dos setup to an external pc. for win9x there are roland and yamaha serial midi drivers you can install; for winxp & up you can use hairless midi serial bridge. in lieu of a direct connection to the windows midi mapper, midiyoke (or midiplayer6 in a pinch) will help get that serial midi data to the softsynth or hardsynth of your choice. i have a win98se setup so i can play mt32/gm streams with the following softsynths:

munt
roland vsc
yamaha s-yxg100
timidity *
qsynth (fluidsynth) *
midiplayer6 (bassmidi & vsti) *#
casio sw-10
websynth d-77
wavecube
wingroove
* soundfont capable
# munt vst, roland vst, s-yxg50 vst playable, but roland scva needs winxp x64 & up)

you can also use midiox in your workflow to remap gm instruments to mt-32 mode so you can hear what these softsynths sound like in mt-32 games that use default instruments like monkey island.

Reply 4 of 4, by ludicrous_peridot

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

From what I read on the net, I believe Roland USB adapter is a good option. I tried a cheap modern adapter when I wanted to get MIDI ouput from a PC into a laptop running MUNT and it simply failed 🙁

There's this interesting project, but I am yet to try and build something out of it, although I have some PCBs and can even share if people are interested (min batch was 10 boards)...

GA-G41M-Combo G41/ICH7 - Core 2 Quad Q9550 - DDR3 1033 - Radeon RX570 - YMF744 (Cobra) - X3MB (Buran)