VOGONS

First post, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I buy two Media Vision Pro Audio Spectrum 16 card, and have some interesting problem with both cards.
I tried with a 386 40mhz and 486DX2 66mhz with vlb motherboard, only with vga and ide controller.
First i make install with install.exe, and hardware install.
The thunderboard i cannot set to irq5, when i test it, then repeated the sound, and cannot use, but no other hardware what use this irq.
Then it accept irq7 and dma 3 for pas16 portion and irq3 dma1 220 for thunderboard.
After restart i try with games.
The secret of monkey island very quiet, doom music very quiet, digi sound very loud, when i try set up sound as sound blaster, then no sound.
Epic pinball is very looud, distorted, when i at game lower the volume to 25% then acceptable.
The pas16 installer file list attached.
Have someone idee, with which init software can i best result achieve, and is any 3rd party mixer software, because the command line pas.exe is too difficult, and how can i set up sound card to sound clear, and music/digi sound with equal volume?
And how , which games can i test all part of the card (pas16, opl3, thunderboard), and how can i set up thunderboard irq to 5?
The jumpers setted up correctly?
This cards are speed sensitive? What is the maximal cpu speed for it?
Thank any helping hints!

Attachments

• 20240203_100927.jpg
    Filename
    20240203_100927.jpg
    File size
    1.69 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • 20240203_100935.jpg
    Filename
    20240203_100935.jpg
    File size
    1.75 MiB
    Views
    File license
  • pas.jpg
    Filename
    pas.jpg
    File size
    47.46 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 1 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi there!

The PAS16 has an optional Sound Blaster 'emulation' (Thunderboard chipset).
The Thunderboard was an older Sound Blaster compatible card. It's SB 1.5 compatible.

The Sound is distorted because the PAS16 was made for passive loudspeaker boxes (=strong amplifier).
It's also loud because the mixer is set to maximum by default.

The mixer. The mixer has a graphic mode. Type PAS *
You can then lower the volume.

Good luck. 🙂

Edit: You can try to switch IRQs. Try to use IRQ7 for Thunderboard and IRQ3 for PAS16.
Both IRQ 5 and IRQ7 were supported by Sound Blaster games.

Edit: In fact, IRQ7 is more compatible for Sound Blaster games. Port 220h, IRQ7, DMA1 were the original SB settings. DOSBox uses IRQ7, too.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 2 of 4, by envagyok

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 0022 revision board more louder with the 0044.
Is this normal?
Snd 0022 revision board gor example with Descent at opl3 music (pas16 sb16) only from left speaker i hear.
The digital sound ftom descent i hear from both speaker.

This embedded amplifier possible turning off?
There at line out both card has a jumper block, maybe there?

Possible with Sound Blaster Pro CT1330A together build a dual soundcard setup?

Reply 3 of 4, by Grem Five

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Your 0022 has factory settings of J10 jumper set to 220h and J12 jumper set to IRQ 5 (pins 3-4 closed). The 0044 these settings should be set by software.

The jumpers behind the sound jacks are connected to the sound jacks but are only listed as factory setting do not change. I dont remember if any of them can be removed to disconnect the amplifier circuit but I do know if you remove certain ones you can remove all sound out to the jacks, one is for left speaker and the other is right speaker. Those jumpers and the way they work has confused me but I have tried to chase them with a multi meter before.

Reply 4 of 4, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
envagyok wrote on 2024-02-03, 12:21:

Possible with Sound Blaster Pro CT1330A together build a dual soundcard setup?

I don't know, I'm no SB Pro owner. I have SB Pro clones, at best.

The PAS16 uses port 388h (OPL3) as its control port.
If another card with an OPL3 is installed, that OPL3 might output a high-pitched whining sound.

The fix that, I believe the OPL3 must be either disabled or the SB diagnostic program must be run.
After doing FM music, the noise should be gone. Had such an experience with a SB16 oncw.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//