VOGONS

First post, by Martli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone, long time lurker here, hoping to share with you some of my retro PC builds when I get a bit of time to write them up. This community has been a great help, and I'm hoping you can help me with something I haven't seen any other threads on.

I bought this Axra "Yamaha 3d sound" card which uses the Yamaha YMF719E-S chip. The card is in immaculate condition and came with the box and everything (see pictures attached). The driver CD comes packed with a Premiere "something about you" music video and the card apparently has an 'I-phone' connector 10 years before the iPhone even came out, talk about future proofing... anyway I digress.

I'm running this card in a SS7 set up. Pentium MMX 166 CPU, Asus p5a mobo, 32mb SD ram, S3 Virge GPU. I have Dos 6.22 and Win95 on separate CF cards. I have a Roland SC88ST Pro external MIDI device and a Roland UM-ONE midi-USB cable to connect to a laptop for external midi also.

This card replaced an ESS Audiodrive that was functioning as expected. The audiodrive was hooked up to my external MIDI devices via the gameport, and with some help from SOFTMPU this has been working fine. Great in fact.

For simplicity's sake, let's just focus on my experience in DOS, but I should note I experience the same issue in both DOS and Windows 95.

I installed drivers and set up my mixer settings using the helpful guide here here. The FM synth works great (sounds great too), as does the wave. CD Audio is a bit quiet, but I can probably live with that. Not sure about the WSS, I don't know enough about it, I need to solve this issue before I can test that though....

I am having major issues with the MPU-401. It appears I'm not getting any signal from the card to my external devices hooked up via the gameport. I've tested this using the duke3d set up utility. I get the message saying "you should here the duke nukem theme song" suggesting it's found the right port address and located the MPU-401, but none of the LEDs light up on my Sound Canvas, and there's no sound. In Windows I've set the MIDI instrument to 'external device' and I get nothing when I play Canyon.mid.

To be double sure sure it wasn't a fault with my cable/external devices I reinstalled my ESS audio drive and, lo and behold, everything operated as normal.

I tested out a joystick to see if it's a problem with gameport itself, and the joystick worked fine.

I've now installed both the ESS Audiodrive and the Yamaha card, with the audiodrive handling the MPU-401 and the Yamaha doing everything else, but it seems like a waste of an ISA slot to have two very similar cards in there. The main reason I got the Yamaha was to eventually pair it with an SB16 or AWE64, but I'm probably going to go back to my trusty Audiodrive for the time being.

The only thing I can think of at this point is that it's somehow sending everything to the wavetable header but not the gameport? I'm not sure that's actually a thing. Unfortunately I don't have a wavetable to test out (and I'm not going to buy one for the sake of this card).

I suspect this is just a faulty card, but before I admit defeat and try my luck buying a replacement, has anyone else come across a similar issue with on one of these cards? Is there anything else I could try to get this thing working? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• YMF3.jpeg
    Filename
    YMF3.jpeg
    File size
    94.45 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • YMF2.jpeg
    Filename
    YMF2.jpeg
    File size
    126.89 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • YMF1.jpeg
    Filename
    YMF1.jpeg
    File size
    65.56 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Fenrir Asus P5A | Pentium MMX 166 | Ymf719 | ES1868f | SC-88ST pro
Neptune Asus P3B-F | PIII 600 | Voodoo3 | Audigy 2 | SB16
Thor Intel D865GBF | P4 3.0ghz | 4200ti | Audigy 2ZS
Jupiter Intel DH77KC | i5 3470 | GTX 670 | X-Fi

Reply 1 of 11, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I happen to have the exact same card (almost the same box even).

I just tested it with an MT-32 and can confirm that MPU-401 output on the joystick port does work.

One difference is I am using UNISOUND in DOS rather than the Yamaha drivers. I've included a snapshot of my AUTOEXEC.BAT settings below.

Attachments

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 11, by Martli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for testing that out Shponglefan, that’s super helpful, and good to see an example of this card behaving as it should. I’ve just now tested the card with UNISOUND and I think this confirms my suspicions - exact same behaviour as with the Yamaha drivers, so probably a hardware defect/fault with my card (unless I’m overlooking something else). I also just now tested with Tiido's SETYMF utility and got the same result. Unfortunate, but good to know I’m not going crazy. Back to the drawing board I guess.

Reply 3 of 11, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's a 470 ohm resistor in-line with the MIDI TX signal from the chip, it may be broken. The signal comes from pin 50 of the YMF71x chip, nicely in the opposite corner from teh pin1 dot so easy to access and measure against, assuming you have a multimeter etc.

In worst case that signal is actually damaged from past and in that case only chip replacement will help...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 4 of 11, by Martli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ah, that’s great, thanks Tiido! I’ve found the pin (which looks ok) and the resistor (which also looks ok) so I will test that when I get my hands on a multimeter.

Reply 5 of 11, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Martli wrote on 2024-02-03, 10:04:

I bought this Axra "Yamaha 3d sound" card which uses the Yamaha YMF719E-S chip. The card is in immaculate condition and came with the box and everything (see pictures attached). The driver CD comes packed with a Premiere "something about you" music video and the card apparently has an 'I-phone' connector 10 years before the iPhone even came out, talk about future proofing... anyway I digress.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_iPhone

Reply 6 of 11, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So, I had a problem like yours with a similar Yamaha card. It turns out that I had a small amount of water damage that ruined a via on the board so that the midi signal wasn't reaching from the main chip on the card to the resistor that Tiido mentioned. I added a bodge wire from the midi tx pin on the chip directly to the resistor and now it works again. I have no idea if you'll find the same problem on your card, but it's at least something else to check. Here's a pic of my very ugly bodge fix. 😀

YMF bodge.jpeg
Filename
YMF bodge.jpeg
File size
685.77 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

As you can see, the midi tx pin on the main chip is thankfully right on the edge at pin 50, so it's easy to find and work with. When you get a multimeter, make sure to also check for continuity between pin 50 and that resistor.

Something else to consider as well... in my experience it seems like the most common chip pins that will come loose from a board are the ones on the edges, so even before you get your hands on a multimeter you might just want to see if that pin is loose. Be very gentle and just give it a light poke with something small and see if it moves.

Anyway, good luck.

Reply 7 of 11, by Martli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
danieljm wrote on 2024-02-06, 02:42:
So, I had a problem like yours with a similar Yamaha card. It turns out that I had a small amount of water damage that ruined a […]
Show full quote

So, I had a problem like yours with a similar Yamaha card. It turns out that I had a small amount of water damage that ruined a via on the board so that the midi signal wasn't reaching from the main chip on the card to the resistor that Tiido mentioned. I added a bodge wire from the midi tx pin on the chip directly to the resistor and now it works again. I have no idea if you'll find the same problem on your card, but it's at least something else to check. Here's a pic of my very ugly bodge fix. 😀

YMF bodge.jpeg

As you can see, the midi tx pin on the main chip is thankfully right on the edge at pin 50, so it's easy to find and work with. When you get a multimeter, make sure to also check for continuity between pin 50 and that resistor.

Something else to consider as well... in my experience it seems like the most common chip pins that will come loose from a board are the ones on the edges, so even before you get your hands on a multimeter you might just want to see if that pin is loose. Be very gentle and just give it a light poke with something small and see if it moves.

Anyway, good luck.

No way! Thanks for sharing that, it’s nice to know I’m not alone. This looks totally doable, even for someone like me who can’t solder (assuming I’ve got the same issue of course). I’ll report back once I have a crack at it.

Reply 8 of 11, by danieljm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If it turns out you need to do soldering, I think I should caution you about doing it on a chip with very fine pins like that. If you don't have any experience it can be very easy to make a mess of it and you might not be able to recover. I would really recommend doing some practice first. If you've got anything else that is broken and can be sacrificed, just try to get a feel of what it'll be like. And remember that flux is your friend. 😀

Reply 9 of 11, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Not jus a friend but absolute necessity, without flux you do soldering in hard/masochist mode 🤣

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 10 of 11, by Martli

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Absolutely, plan is to get a motherboard or two from my local recycler