VOGONS

First post, by Orzene

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've seen an older post asking around for similar drivers, but either the links were removed, or linked to a German page that I didn't have the credentials for, since it only allows you to download via FTP and I don't have an account or log-in for it (guess people need to sign up? Eh... )

I also have used the VOGONs library for the DOS drivers, with decent success (tested in DOOM, and audio works well enough), but it does not seem to include Win3.x drivers. It DOES include the Win95 drivers, but I'm guessing that they will definitely not work with the card.

Adding some pics for visual reference. 😀

OPTI_82C924_1.jpg
Filename
OPTI_82C924_1.jpg
File size
781.94 KiB
Views
File comment
Full Card View
File license
Public domain
OPTI_82C924_2.jpg
Filename
OPTI_82C924_2.jpg
File size
520.4 KiB
Views
File comment
Crystal CS4231A-KL Chip
File license
Public domain
OPTI_82C924_3.jpg
Filename
OPTI_82C924_3.jpg
File size
564.35 KiB
Views
File comment
OPTi 82C924
File license
Public domain
OPTI_82C924_4.jpg
Filename
OPTI_82C924_4.jpg
File size
589.69 KiB
Views
File comment
Yamaha OPL YMF262-M 9450
File license
Public domain

Reply 3 of 7, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Also check this

http://www.vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=792

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 4 of 7, by Orzene

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update:

While I could get the system to accept the audio drivers without any problems for both DOS and Win3.x, the big issue was that I couldn't get my Mitsumi-Quad CD-ROM working with it (I have to go through the soundcard since the mainboard doesn't have an IDE slot for it) -- Even when using the generic IDE connection slot on the card.

I could make guesses as to why it wasn't working, but even when I merged the CD-ROM drivers from VOGONs driver wiki (Which includes the OAKCDROM.SYS file and setup) with the linked drivers for card off Internet Archives, it still seemed to not work too well.

I've switched back to my Sound Blaster 16 which decided to stop having the I/O conflict it was having earlier after an OS re-install. Still have to run the Diagnose program to get it to initialize the SB16's CD-ROM recognition, but only once during any given session, and then it's happy to accept CD drive.

I'm kind of sad about this because it seems like a neat card, and since it's not one of those later Sound Blasters with the DSP problems which suffer from Hanging Note Syndrome, it seemed like a good alternative, despite being something of an unbranded piece of hardware. Still, if anyone comes up with a solution for this particular card using a mix of drivers that plays nice with CD drives that -MUST- go through the card, I'm happy to hear about it!

Cheers!

Reply 5 of 7, by Orzene

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dominusprog wrote on 2024-02-04, 22:04:

I looked at this one already, and it didn't look like it had the Win3.x drivers, just the Win95 ones (unless those work with Win3.x, then I suppose that's just me wrongly assuming that the drivers wouldn't be compatible). Feel free to point out where I missed them, though!

Reply 6 of 7, by Orzene

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE -- It's been a little bit of time since I posted, so I figured I'd add to this thread:

I could not get it to work. It's fine though; since my SB16 decided to finally start -working- again, and I've kept with that instead. I've kept to the Sound Blaster, and put the other card away into storage for now, until I feel like trying it out again.

Reply 7 of 7, by Orzene

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Orzene wrote on 2024-02-25, 07:26:

UPDATE -- It's been a little bit of time since I posted, so I figured I'd add to this thread:

I could not get it to work. It's fine though; since my SB16 decided to finally start -working- again, and I've kept with that instead. I've kept to the Sound Blaster, and put the other card away into storage for now, until I feel like trying it out again.

Another Update:

Finally got my Pentium MMX 200 system in, and along with a Voodoo3, I slotted in this card, and after several DAYS of trying to get the card working, I came across a website that has the 4.00.23 drivers for the OPTi 82C924 PnP that work on both Win95 as well as 98. The DOS drivers work alright, though I'm having to work in Windows Media Sound mode currently, as SB Pro mode seems "iffy" when messing with it.

Honestly though, having a decent ISA sound card in there is pretty nice! If only I had better speakers for the system, 🤣