VOGONS

First post, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’m a midi noob, so please excuse this question if it’s a silly one.

I played Raptor (the game) on a AWE64 and a ES1869F. There is a distinct background instrument in the music that sounds like it’s coming from a keyboard on the ES1869F and sounds like a choir on the AWE64. The music is 100% going through the SC-55 in each test.

I assumed sound cards just played the raw sound from the midi device (SC-55) via Line-In and so, midi music would sound exactly the same on all sound cards.

Am I misunderstanding something?

Reply 1 of 14, by TamaMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, not sure about the question here but to generalize, I would say that MIDI music (the MIDI data saying to the device which type of instrument to play) specifically sounds different on each sound card (as each MIDI device has their own MIDI synth tech to produce the sound).

"High fidelity recordings of 90s PRO MIDI music and DOS/Windows game soundtracks on real hardware (AdLib, Sound Blaster+CMS/Pro 2/16/AWE32/AWE64, Roland MT-32/SC-55/SCC-1/SC-7)"
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCiSJ_UFogOYTKcBKHwXz3lA

Reply 2 of 14, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
TamaMan wrote on 2024-02-06, 15:42:

Sorry, not sure about the question here but to generalize, I would say that MIDI music (the MIDI data saying to the device which type of instrument to play) specifically sounds different on each sound card (as each MIDI device has their own MIDI synth tech to produce the sound).

Sorry I should have explained it better. I'm using the midi synth of the SC-55, so shouldn't the midi instruments sound the same on all sound cards?

Reply 3 of 14, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
zuldan wrote on 2024-02-06, 23:59:

Sorry I should have explained it better. I'm using the midi synth of the SC-55, so shouldn't the midi instruments sound the same on all sound cards?

Yes they they should .

Are you absolutley certain the MIDI is being rendered by the SC-55 (you can test with the headphone jack on the SC-55) ? Do you see activity on the SC-55's LCD screen during playback in both cases ?

Reply 4 of 14, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
darry wrote on 2024-02-07, 00:05:
zuldan wrote on 2024-02-06, 23:59:

Yes they they should .

Are you absolutley certain the MIDI is being rendered by the SC-55 (you can test with the headphone jack on the SC-55) ? Do you see activity on the SC-55's LCD screen during playback in both cases ?

Yes, a lot of activity on the LCD screen and I've tested with the headphone jack. I've tested this with my SC-55 (1.20) and SC-55MKII, both have the same result. The midi music sounds identical between the sound cards except for 1 background instrument.

Maybe I need to get an audio sample and post it here.

Reply 5 of 14, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Some sample might help.

Additionally, are you running under plain real-mode DOS or from Windows ?

Oh, and while this is a bit of a long shot, if you are using a typical Ebay/Ali Express joystick to MIDI cable, some of the MIDI data might be getting corrupted causing your issue. These MIDI cables are usually out of spec and one's experience with them can vary between fully working and not working at all, depending on the sound card and MIDI device used.

Reply 7 of 14, by TamaMan

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry, I understood that AWE64, ES1869F and SC-55 MIDI synthesis was compared here.

If only an instrument is different/missing, how about a variation tone is requested and the "missing" device does not support capital-tone fallback?

Do the built-in demo songs (Leya's Song) sound OK without any MIDI connections? Do the demo songs, for example, from the SCC-1 card utility disk (DEMO3.MID, Leya's Song) sound OK via MIDI? Is the internal battery OK? Is the power supply OK?

Reply 8 of 14, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This might not apply to this situation but I vaguely remember something about how sound blaster cards would map midi instruments differently under some circumstance, something like that. It’s really hazy, I’m no spring chicken and my memory isn’t always great, but I remember something about how instruments would be remapped under some condition. I think it might have had to do with GS vs GM?? Just a guess.

Reply 9 of 14, by pc-sound-legacy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Please try the following: Download Raptor midi file. Playback midi file using a windows player. So you can indicate if the problem is located in dos environment (maybe a speed issue) or not. The midi music from raptor is GM and not GS. So the SC55 should get the GM reset and playing in GM mode. (With some midi player software like midiplayer5 you can force a GM or GS reset if you want to check)

Reply 10 of 14, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I feel a bit silly. The midi instrument sounds exactly the same on both sound cards. What I didn't realize was that the particular instrument in question only plays on the left speaker. The left speaker on the ES1869F was facing down on the ground so it didn't fall over while I had the PC case open testing sound cards. The sound obviously sounds different when you're covering the speaker with the floor 😉

Reply 11 of 14, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hahaha. Well, at least it was a simple fix!! Honestly I've been playing with PC sound and recording for 20 plus years and still run into such things. Glad you got it figured out!

Reply 12 of 14, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Spikey wrote on 2024-02-19, 06:33:

Hahaha. Well, at least it was a simple fix!! Honestly I've been playing with PC sound and recording for 20 plus years and still run into such things. Glad you got it figured out!

Thank you for the kind words.

Btw, I recognize that avatar picture. I’m a big QG4 fan 😉 Played it for years during my teens. I still have my saved games. Such good memories!

Reply 13 of 14, by Spikey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, good troll. 😉 I probably prefer QFG4 to SQ5 honestly, although I love both dearly.

Also, just noticed you're a fellow Aussie! Where you from? I'm a SA boy living in Canberra these days.

Reply 14 of 14, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Spikey wrote on 2024-02-20, 16:35:

Heh, good troll. 😉 I probably prefer QFG4 to SQ5 honestly, although I love both dearly.

Also, just noticed you're a fellow Aussie! Where you from? I'm a SA boy living in Canberra these days.

I’m in Brissie. I have fond memories of SQ5 as well. Put almost the same amount of hours into that game.