VOGONS

First post, by insanitor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I’m trying to install and use my Yamaha/Labway model A151-A00 in MS-DOS.

Strange thing though:

The Unisound driver does work but when I run the Duke Nukem 3D sound test, it’s as if there is no separation between the left and right speakers. This problem occurs when the test of the sound goes to the left and right channels. When this happens the sound itself has slightly less volume. It’s as if it’s working in mono and not stereo. Maybe it’s using a special sound effect like reverb? If I go into Windows 2000, I tried playing a CD and using the volume control does work when shifting to the left and right speakers so the problem is somewhere else.

Here is the strange thing though:

I cannot get the original Yamaha sound card drivers installed and working no matter what I do. I always get an I/O error. If I do not get a WSS I/O error I’ll get a SB check failed error depending on what settings I try. The manual says to change the IRQ and DMA settings because they are incorrect but I’ve tried all the options and none work. I’ve tried disabling all devices in my BIOS and that doesn’t work. I tried IRQ and DMA forwarding and that won’t work either. I tried putting only the sound card in the ISA slot and no other card in my remaining ISA slot. I tried the latest driver and the one that comes on the original CD. There are so many options everywhere that I can’t be sure that I came close to the right combination. Or, if there is a right combination.

The only thing I have not tried is blowing up the card with a nuclear warhead but I don’t have one.

If I install my Sound Blaster CT1740 and use the Unisound driver it works fine.

If I cannot resolve this problem I’ll have no choice but to get a different sound card and try my luck that way.

UPDATE:

I forced installed the driver that comes on the installation CD.

When MS-DOS starts, it says this:

No configuration manager. Perform configuration manually using SETUPSA .

SAx Sound system is not found on CM

OPL3 – SA3C setup utility 2.09
WSS base: 0X530 IRQ:5 PDRQ:0 CDRQ:1
SB base: 0X220 IRQ:5 DMA:1
MPU base: 0X330 IRQ:5
ADLIB Base: 0X388 CTRL base: 0X370 Joystick Base 0X201.

Configuration is correctly finished!!

And after all of that, I still have the same speaker problem except the volume is so high my roof caved in on me. And if I run the setupsa program I get the “SB check failed” error message.

Last edited by insanitor on 2024-02-06, 17:43. Edited 4 times in total.

When I go, the smiles and the laughs go with me.

Reply 1 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You may have to change the "PnP OS installed" setting in the BIOS.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You can try SETYMF too : Re: T-04YBSC-A, new YMF71x based sound card + SETYMF utility
If might give some new info, but it is starting to look like there may be some fundamental incompatibility.

Reply 4 of 8, by insanitor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2024-02-06, 18:06:

You can try SETYMF too : Re: T-04YBSC-A, new YMF71x based sound card + SETYMF utility
If might give some new info, but it is starting to look like there may be some fundamental incompatibility.

I ran the program but I have some difficulty deciphering the output.

EDIT: I installed the driver but I got the same exact problem with the speakers.

I’m beginning to think that this behavior is normal for this card because this card is not normal.

IMG_1194.jpeg
Filename
IMG_1194.jpeg
File size
1.38 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Last edited by insanitor on 2024-02-06, 19:54. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 5 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It shows all the current settings for IO, IRQ and DMA resources. You can press the letters/numbers marked in yellow color to do a sound test, if these tests fail you change some of the settings to rule out any possible IRQ conflicts etc.
If there are error messages of any sort, those should be written here for any further thoughts. I suggest to read the text files for more info.

(I see I have a little error, the Covox bit should be hidden on the generic YMF71x cards)

Reply 6 of 8, by insanitor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2024-02-06, 19:53:

(I see I have a little error, the Covox bit should be hidden on the generic YMF71x cards)

Oooohhh!! Then I’d better make sure I keep this driver in my archives so I can illegally know my top secret future unavailable Covox DSP version number for my unauthorized sound card. Hhheehhheee… 😀

Thank you for your help on this.

Even with your driver I get the same speaker problem. That’s two different drivers and I get the same problem.

This sound card is completely abnormal. Like me.

Reply 7 of 8, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Do you have photos of the card ? It might have some actual damage on it, or perhaps all its problems are from some bad capacitors.

The DSP version is for the SB side, the YMF71x chipset lets you choose which SB version it reports and games that use it, can set capability according to that number.

Reply 8 of 8, by insanitor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Tiido wrote on 2024-02-06, 20:34:

Do you have photos of the card ? It might have some actual damage on it, or perhaps all its problems are from some bad capacitors.

The DSP version is for the SB side, the YMF71x chipset lets you choose which SB version it reports and games that use it, can set capability according to that number.

Please forgive me. But I’m satisfied with how it’s working now. If I keep pressing, I’ll break something. And I don’t want to do that.

I hope you understand.