VOGONS

First post, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've finally decided to take my Gravis UIltrasound PnP (with 2MB) out of it's box (in brand-new like condition, no dust, no scratches) and use it in my 486 computer. Sound effects are working but not music.

I've done the following;

1 - Removed all ISA and PCI cards (except for the graphics card). Disabled any unnecessary onboard peripherals in the BIOS.
2- Unisound detects the card and 2MB memory perfectly - Doom1, Doom2, Descent (setup detects the Gravis perfectly) all play sound effects but no music.
3- Installed the proper Gravis Ultrasound PnP drivers. Performed the memory test (100% successful). Drivers initialize fine when booting. Doom1, Doom2, Descent (setup detects the Gravis perfectly) all play sound effects but no music.

I must be missing a step. I know some games require a patch to work with the PnP version but I don't think Doom1, Doom2 and Descent are in the list.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Reply 1 of 7, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

IIRC, there is a patch library that needs to be installed first. It contains the instrument samples that will get loaded to the GUS RAM.

I'll try to look up what it is and post the details.

edited to add:

Found the details in this thread here: Re: A couple of newbie questions about the Gravis Ultrasound PnP Pro

You need to run SETRAM.EXE (found in the SETUP folder) from the GUS PnP driver CD. It will install the default GUS patches.

If you don't have the GUS PnP CD, you can grab it from the Vogons driver library here: http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=10

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 2 of 7, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-02-10, 00:48:
IIRC, there is a patch library that needs to be installed first. It contains the instrument samples that will get loaded to the […]
Show full quote

IIRC, there is a patch library that needs to be installed first. It contains the instrument samples that will get loaded to the GUS RAM.

I'll try to look up what it is and post the details.

edited to add:

Found the details in this thread here: Re: A couple of newbie questions about the Gravis Ultrasound PnP Pro

You need to run SETRAM.EXE (found in the SETUP folder) from the GUS PnP driver CD. It will install the default GUS patches.

If you don't have the GUS PnP CD, you can grab it from the Vogons driver library here: http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=10

You are a life saver!!!!

That was the exact step I was missing. Music sounds AMAZING! You made my weekend! Woohoo

Reply 3 of 7, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zuldan wrote on 2024-02-10, 01:09:

You are a life saver!!!!

That was the exact step I was missing. Music sounds AMAZING! You made my weekend! Woohoo

Happy to help! Enjoy! 😀

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 4 of 7, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-02-10, 01:10:
zuldan wrote on 2024-02-10, 01:09:

You are a life saver!!!!

Happy to help! Enjoy! 😀

Ok now I want to upgrade the memory from 2MB to 8MB (don't want the expansion card to get 16MB as my Gus doesn't have the pin headers soldered on). Are there patches for 4MB / 8MB ? and what patch are you running on yours?

Reply 5 of 7, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
zuldan wrote on 2024-02-10, 01:15:

Ok now I want to upgrade the memory from 2MB to 8MB (don't want the expansion card to get 16MB as my Gus doesn't have the pin headers soldered on). Are there patches for 4MB / 8MB ? and what patch are you running on yours?

I've just used the default patches for now. I know there are the "Pro Patches" available. I looked into getting them but there seemed to be different versions floating around and I wasn't sure what to try, so I never bothered.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build

Reply 6 of 7, by zuldan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-02-10, 01:29:
zuldan wrote on 2024-02-10, 01:15:

I've just used the default patches for now. I know there are the "Pro Patches" available. I looked into getting them but there seemed to be different versions floating around and I wasn't sure what to try, so I never bothered.

No worries. I've give the default patch some time.

I love how the yellow Multimedia Pro 16 IIB-3D looks against the red Gravis.

Now time to finish 486 DX4-100 with 7 sound cards 😉

IMG_4483.JPG
Filename
IMG_4483.JPG
File size
547.46 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 7 of 7, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t